Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

Installing a water line for a side by side fridge

My husband and I are buying a house.. we close in less than 2 weeks. The seller put in a brand new side by side fridge, but it is not hooked up to a water line.. and we totally didn't think to have them do that in the agreement for us. So, we are going to have to do it when we get the house. We are really wanting to do it ourselves. I've been reading that it's pretty easy to do.. and we really want to save the money.

The question is, how do we do it? Even though a lot of things say it's easy, it still sounds kinda difficult to me. Also.. the sink is on the opposite wall, so we will have to hook it to the washer.. which is right next to where the fridge is on the other side of a wall. So, I hope we can run it from there?? Should we use copper or plastic wire? How long does it take? We kinda need an easy to understand step by step guide. I'm really hoping we can do this.

mhp8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

If you have a basement or a crawl space, it is pretty easy. If you are on a slab, it could be very difficult.

Tells us about the house construction, slab, basement, crawlspace. A sketch of the kitchen would be big help. If the washer is in the same lineup as the refrigerator it would also be fairly easy.

You want to use 1/4" flexible copper tubing for the connection. Run from the back of the refrig. to the water source. This can be down into the basement or crawl or through the cabinets if the washer is in the same lineup. You need to install a shut off valve (called a stop) at the water source and this is probably the hardest part. It will depend on the type of plumbing and the layout as to what to do.

Do not let anyone talk you into using a saddle valve for this stop. Saddle valves are included in many ice maker connection kits but they are junk.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
If you have a basement or a crawl space, it is pretty easy. If you are on a slab, it could be very difficult.

Tells us about the house construction, slab, basement, crawlspace. A sketch of the kitchen would be big help. If the washer is in the same lineup as the refrigerator it would also be fairly easy.

You want to use 1/4" flexible copper tubing for the connection. Run from the back of the refrig. to the water source. This can be down into the basement or crawl or through the cabinets if the washer is in the same lineup. You need to install a shut off valve (called a stop) at the water source and this is probably the hardest part. It will depend on the type of plumbing and the layout as to what to do.

Do not let anyone talk you into using a saddle valve for this stop. Saddle valves are included in many ice maker connection kits but they are junk.
Thanks for your help.. The house has a crawl space, but it has a wood foundation.. so it's a little different than your typical crawl space.. the only way to get into it, is in the house. There is no way in from the outside. The laundry room/washer/dryer do line up with the fridge.. there is just a wall between them. The garage is on the other side of the wall they are on. And actually the people who lived in the house before had the washer/dryer in the garage just flipped the other way from where they are now. We decided to put them back in the room. So I believe the water hookup is actually in the garage. But it's still the same wall everything is sharing.

I have attached my very sad attempt to draw my kitchen/laundry room! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a water line for a side by side fridge-kitchen.jpg  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

I would cut an access panel in the drywall below the washer hook-up. You can get a plastic access panel cover from Home Depot and their clones to cover the hole without patching drywall. Cut a tee into the cold water pipe and bring a pipe stub out through the wall. Install a stop (shut off ) on the stub that has a 1/4" compression fitting. Rune the copper tubing along the wall through that short wall to the back of the refrig. Connect to the frig. (usually the fitting to do the frig. connection are with the new frig. Connect other end to your new stop behind the washer.

The details of connecting a tee into the washer cold water pipe depend on what type pipe you have. Copper, CPVC, PEX, or possibly galvanized.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #5

Well.. the hook up is actually in the garage.. and the hoses are just reversed.. they are going through 2 holes that were made in the wall into the "laundry room". There is room left in the holes.. is it possible that the copper pipe could feed through that as well?... then we would just have to drill a small hole into the short wall to feed it through to the fridge.. but that hole would be hidden with the fridge there. I wish I could take a picture for you.. but I don't have access to the house yet. Although I do have some pictures of it in the inspection that was emailed to me. I might be able to show you through one of those pics.. but it'll have to wait until I get home from work.

someone here at work told me it has to be hooked into the hot water heater line that is connected to the washer?? Not sure what that means..
Old 09-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Cut the hole for the access panel in the garage below the washer hook-up. Tee into the cold water line and back thru the wall into the kitchen. Then run the copper line to the refrig.

Some people do hook to the hot water line but cold is more standard.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Cut the hole for the access panel in the garage below the washer hook-up. Tee into the cold water line and back thru the wall into the kitchen. Then run the copper line to the refrig.

Some people do hook to the hot water line but cold is more standard.
Ok, so either way works fine? This may be a very stupid question, but does that make it like warm/hot water instead?

the person I was going to have come over and help us is the one who told me it HAD to go to the hot water line. If this is not the best way, then I don't want to do it this way!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #8

20 yrsof plumbing and I have never hooked up to the hot. Whats his reasoning? Why heat water to 120 degrees only to cool or freeze it?
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
20 yrsof plumbing and I have never hooked up to the hot. Whats his reasoning? Why heat water to 120 degrees only to cool or freeze it?
Well.. that's kinda what I thought.. she was telling me that it "had" to be hooked into the hot water heater (her husband is the one who would be doing it) She said he did their own and a couple others.. It just didnt' make much sense to me... even though I know nothing about plumbing! lol That's why I came here and asked.. I just wasn't sure about what they were saying. I may not have him do it after all. I'm a little nervous he doesn't know enough about it. I think my husband and I can handle it.. we just need some very clear step by step instructions!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhp8982 View Post
Thanks for your help.. The house has a crawl space, but it has a wood foundation.. so it's a little different than your typical crawl space.. the only way to get into it, is in the house. There is no way in from the outside. The laundry room/washer/dryer do line up with the fridge.. there is just a wall between them. The garage is on the other side of the wall they are on. And actually the people who lived in the house before had the washer/dryer in the garage just flipped the other way from where they are now. We decided to put them back in the room. So I believe the water hookup is actually in the garage. But it's still the same wall everything is sharing.

I have attached my very sad attempt to draw my kitchen/laundry room! lol
The quote's so far is very good . What i would do is make a big single coil behind frig. so when you pull it out it doesn't mess up the fitting going into the freg.

Last edited by del schisler; 09-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok, so either way works fine? This may be a very stupid question, but does that make it like warm/hot water instead?

the person I was going to have come over and help us is the one who told me it HAD to go to the hot water line. If this is not the best way, then I don't want to do it this way!
Maybe he said the hot water heater for cold water ?? Sure as hell not to the hot water side of the water heater !!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
Maybe he said the hot water heater for cold water ?? Sure as hell not to the hot water side of the water heater !!

He said we had to find where the hot water heater runs into the washer and connect it there into that line.??
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
He said we had to find where the hot water heater runs into the washer and connect it there into that line.??
on the cold side . Only not the hot water side. The cold side is the intake to the water heater. You can tee in their . Just i belive 3/4" copper on the water heater. And maybe 1/2" feed to the cold water for washer. Or now that could be 3/4" depend's on the installer. He may have came off of the water heater with the 2 copper line's 3/4" to start with. Not that hard to do
Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
on the cold side . Only not the hot water side. The cold side is the intake to the water heater. You can tee in their . Just i belive 3/4" copper on the water heater. And maybe 1/2" feed to the cold water for washer. Or now that could be 3/4" depend's on the installer. He may have came off of the water heater with the 2 copper line's 3/4" to start with. Not that hard to do
Ahh.. so he may know what he is talking about? This is all so confusing to me!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

It really makes no difference where you tap into the water line, any cold water line will do. The water heater is irrelevant in this connection. You could run the copper line down through the floor, through the crawl space and up under the sink for connection. In fact, probably the majority of ice makers are connected under the sink.