Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Installing a vent for my water heater...

I bought a 6 year old house and found the water heater vent was too long, too close to a side wall, and too close to a deck. Unfortunately I can't find a plumber to redo it. The only one I could get to come out gave me a price which I accepted, but he never showed up to do the work and now doesn't return my phone calls. Looks like I will have to do it myself.

A bunch of questions:
1) It says PVC to D2665. Is that just plain PVC, or something special?
2) It goes on about how the primer and cement should have THF and be 500-1600 centipose. Is that just standard PVC primer and cement, or something special?
3) It says to use a pure bristle brush, not the dauber that comes in the can. I've always used the dauber and never had a leak; is a brush all that essential?
4) It says a special plastic pipe blade must be used. I have always used a regular carbide blade for my CMS. Is a special plastic pipe blade necessary?
5) It suggests a slight downward angle so any condensate runs out the pipe rather then back to the water heater. That seems simple enough, but the existing vent has an upward angle; so I just want to make sure I am reading it right. Downward, not upward...
6) Other than turning the water heater off while working on the vent, do I have to do anything to the water heater; or do I just change the vent and turn it back on? Nothing to adjust? I don't see anything in the instructions, but want to make sure I am not missing anything.
7) I have to chisel a hole in a cinderblock wall, and have no idea how to do that. Is there a good instructional website?

I would much rather pay a plumber, but I guess its time to learn a new skill.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I can't advise on your issue. But I can save ya some time, post a few photos for whom ever advises you!

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,070

I'll let someone else comment on the piping.
To make that hole your going to need something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-BULLDO...item3ccf964b89

You drill the hole from the outside in.
Drill a row of holes with the SDS bit then switch to the chisle and bust it out.
If you tryed to drill it from the onside it's going to just blow the brick apart on the outside.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,236

My sugestions- others may vary
1. use sch. 40 pvc and drainage pattern fittings
2. Standard purple primer and glue- inspectors like to see the purple
3. dauber is fine- be thorough with your gluing method
4. Cut square and remove burs- use your saw
5. Drain away from heater if that what it says
6. Work in a ventilated space when using primer and glue. Follow instructions to re-fire
7.What Joe said
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

I don't know who wrote those directions but I think they are on krak, or trying to make the task sound impossible for lay people

Miter Saw with carbide blade: Fine

Regular PVC Glue with Large dauber: Fine, but use purple primer.Centipoise is the viscosity. THF is Tetrahydrofuran Its the active ingredient in all PVC glues Use flowguard Gold.

I assume this is a powervent HWH. You will use 3 inch DWV pipe. Yes slope it to drain outside, otherwise condensate will run back to HWH and down flue shutting HWH down.

Using a hammer drill drill a series of holes around in a circle bigger than the pipe you are using. You can break out block fairly easy with a masons hammer an a cold chizel. I always set a steel sleeve in non shrink grout and run the pipe through it then use backerod and sealant. but most people dont. The others are right work from the outside after you drill a centering hole.

You can put a 45 degree elbow on the end of the pipe, and wire grill, no need to cut at angle.

I put a fernco connector about 4 feet from the top of the HWH so I can change out the anode easily. My anode is covered by the blower housing.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

I assume this is a powervent HWH. You will use 3 inch DWV pipe.
Induced draft, if that is the same as powervent.
It now has 2". With all the fitting, it comes out to 33' and they allow 30' with 2".
The route I am going is both shorter and fewer fittings. It will be about 20'. Should I use 3" even though 2" will meet State's requirements?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
Induced draft, if that is the same as powervent.
It now has 2". With all the fitting, it comes out to 33' and they allow 30' with 2".
The route I am going is both shorter and fewer fittings. It will be about 20'. Should I use 3" even though 2" will meet State's requirements?
Follow manufacturer's specs
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Follow manufacturer's specs
The manufacturer will accept 2", but that doesn't mean I can't use 3" if there is a reason to do so. (or so I assume; maybe it does...)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
The manufacturer will accept 2", but that doesn't mean I can't use 3" if there is a reason to do so. (or so I assume; maybe it does...)
If 2" works with your fitting allowance and distance- why use 3"?
Every manufacturer has different venting specs. Adhere to them. Perhaps call them to verify
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 508

might need to subtract footage for every 45 or 90 should say how much to deducted for both in specs
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,162

On the side of your hot water tank there should be a book on how to install the vent. Use PVC Glue And primer and non foam core PVC Pipe.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
If 2" works with your fitting allowance and distance- why use 3"?
Every manufacturer has different venting specs. Adhere to them. Perhaps call them to verify

I am sure 2" is okay for this water heater, but maybe the next one will want 3"?
I don't know much about plumbing; is this something I should be concerned about? Or are replacements reasonably sure to be 2" also?

I figured all that stuff about plastic blades and primer specification were to cover their butts; but wanted to make sure before I ignored them.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
I am sure 2" is okay for this water heater, but maybe the next one will want 3"?
I don't know much about plumbing; is this something I should be concerned about? Or are replacements reasonably sure to be 2" also?

I figured all that stuff about plastic blades and primer specification were to cover their butts; but wanted to make sure before I ignored them.
I would worry about that 10-15 years from now when your heater fails. Who knows, by then you might be able to use 1.5"

Ghost made a good point earlier I hope you caught- You should make sure your pipe wall is solid core. A lot of DWV pipe you buy now is not. Some heaters and boilers require solid wall- not foam core pipe
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Correct with foam core. Use only schedule 40 pvc.

joes plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote