Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #1

Share |

Installing utility sink in laundry room

I have a couple of questions concerning whether my job plans are up to code. My plans and permits are for the 2006 IRC. I built a small (100 square foot) addition off of my laundry room to become the new laundry room so I can expand the kitchen into the exisiting laundry room. I am installing a utility sink (24 gallon) for the washer to drain into. So far the framing and sheathing are done. I hope to start the plumbing work soon. I have scheduled an information visit with the plumbing inspector and want to make sure my plans make sense before he comes out here. My plan:

The existing washer drains into a 1 1/2" stand pipe. I will remove the standpipe and extend the 1 1/2" line to where the sink will be located and drain the sink into the 1 1/2" line. I will also install a 1 1/2" vent using a Studor Mini-vent. Questions: how far can the vent need to be from the sink? I was hoping to go 6' and run the vent up into an interior wall. How much distance needs to be between the top of the vent and the P-trap under the sink? I will use 1/4" rise for each foot of drain line. I attached a quick drawing to help visualize my plans. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf utility sink.pdf (39.2 KB, 131 views)

71Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #2

Anyone?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #3

I'd love to answer your questions but for some reason I can't open your file. Besides, the questions you ask will be best answered by your inspector. After all, he does have the final say
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Thanks. Not sure why the file will not open as it does for me. As for the inspector, that is true. I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right page. I was told when scheduling the information visit " that we are not there to tell you how to plan your job..." so I have a feeling that he may not be very helpful.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

sorry i can't open file either but from what you are saying sounds like you are on the right track....however not sure you want to install auto vent on washer drain and if your local code will allow it....hang tite someothers should be along soon...maybe they can see your drawing...ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

I had no trouble opening your file. I agree that the inspector is the ultimate reviewer, so best not to try and out guess what he or she might say.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Whaler View Post
Questions: how far can the vent need to be from the sink? I was hoping to go 6' and run the vent up into an interior wall. How much distance needs to be between the top of the vent and the P-trap under the sink? Thanks.
Maximum horizontal length for 1-1/2 vent pipe is 60 feet according to the Uniform Plumbing Code.

Also only 1/3 of the total length of a vent pipe can be horizontal. So if you have a 30-foot vertical vent pipe, make sure no more than 10 feet of it is horizontal.

Now the BUT part: But if you increase the vent pipe by one pipe size for its entire length, you can ignore the limitation on the horizontal layout.

The AAV should be at least 4 inches above the fixture trap. Since you are going inside a wall space make sure there is a good air supply to the vent. I believe STudor makes a recessde box with vents on it.
Attached Images

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
71Whaler (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. I'm going to meet with the inspector next week and hopefully install the sink the following weekend.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

The 2 fittings on the horizontal drain line should be wyes and not tees.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The 2 fittings on the horizontal drain line should be wyes and not tees.
The fitting on the main drain that picks up the vent can be a Tee. The other fitting (picking up the laundry sink) should be a combo(Wye & a street 45)

Let us know what the inspector says though.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing utility sink in laundry room-new-bitmap-image.jpg  

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
71Whaler (11-24-2011)