Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a utility sink

Hello,

I am installing a utility sink in my basement. My house was built in the 40's and I live in Ohio.

I want to place my utility sink directly next to my washer and dryer. For some reason, previous owners' placed 4 water outlets (2 hots and 2 colds) on the same set of plumbing. These sit about 3 feet off the ground and descend form the ceiling. I have my hot/cold for the washer tied into to one pair of these outlets.

This leads me to my first question, can I just tie into the lines that have the water outlets with come flex pipe (similar to washing machine piping)?

Now to drain the system the washer drain is conveniently placed less than a foot from where the utility sink will be. However, I am concerned this might cause unforeseen issues and might not be up to code.

This is the second question, Can I just drain the utility sink to this location? From my browsing I am getting 50% Yes and a 50% No answer on pages. I just want to do it right the first time.

FYI for the DIYers that are going to help me out, the vent stack for my house is cast iron and very inconveniently placed. Assuming that I cannot approach this the way I want to, I will just call a plumber. I wanted to ask if I can do it myself before I drop a bunch of cash.

Thanks,
Nik
BNPadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #2

Installing a utility sink

The water supply lines would not cause a problem but I would use a material other than hose, unless you use stainless steel supply hoses. The drain is a whole different problem. Doing it the way you suggested would not include a vent and the sink trap would be sucked out, or backup everytime the washer discharged water. It would not be Code and would cause you problems. Sorry.