Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Sprinklers appear to have caused Water Pressure to DRASTICALLY increase

Hello! I'm brand new here and am a relatively new homeowner. I've been reading on the internet trying to find information on a specific issue I've been having and can't seem to find out what's going on.

Over the weekend, we put in sprinklers in the front yard. Since then, our water pressure seems to be wacky. I can't say for certain as I haven't tested it but will after I get off work. But all the signs point toward really high water pressure. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. The main symptom we are experiencing is when the water was turned back on, both toilet tanks in the house are over filling and running constantly. Lifting the arm attached to the ball in the tank is not causing the water to stop running. It runs so high it's running out the overflow drain. The water coming out of the bathroom sinks and shower is also very high pressure. Conversely, the water pressure in the kitchen has dropped significantly around the same time.

I know about the pressure regulators and that is something I'll be looking in to if that's an issue with incoming water pressure, but what I don't get is how getting sprinklers installed in the front yard could have such a significant impact on my water pressure. Will installing a pressure regulator causing my water pressure in the kitchen to decrease even further. Could the lines have gotten something in them? Any ideas?

Thank you,

Erin

geminigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Installing Sprinklers appear to have caused Water Pressure to DRASTICALLY increase

Its possible that they got debri in the lines and its fowled the fill valves on the toilets. as far as the kitchen sink remove the areator and see if it got junk in it. not sure on the lav sinks unless its junk in the areators and just making it spray wierd and look like high pressure. could have fowled the regulator too.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Reading this carefully, I see two different statements: "Over the weekend, we put in sprinklers in the front yard." Then I see: " but what I don't get is how getting sprinklers installed". . . So, who actually put the sprinklers, I'm thinking lawn sprinklers here, in? There is a probability that IF you had contractors do this work, they they may have removed a Pressure Reducing Valve at the meter to change out your supply line to meet flow capacities for your sprinkler system. The lawn sprinkler people want flow more than they want pressure, but both go hand-in-hand. A water pressure gauge that fits onto an outside faucet is relatively affordable at most big box and hardware stores. I would get one and check the water pressure at the faucet furtherest from the meter, with all other valves closed. Check your neighbors also to see if there is any difference. Depending on your incoming water pressure, from you supplier, you may need a PRV installed. The lawn sprinkler company may owe you one--installed. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,028

Here is a pressure gauge at a hard to beat price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQN90Q

and a similar gauge from True Value
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-14778/Detail
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Sprinklers appear to have caused Water Pressure to DRASTICALLY increase-water-press-gauge.jpg  
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote