Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |

Installing shutoff valves

I know next to nothing when it comes to plumbing, and two times I have attempted my own plumbing, it ended horribly. So I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to plumbing, so please go easy on me, lol.

I'm just about done with a utility room remodel, and need to install shut-off valves for both the pedestal sink, and the toilet.

1) I'm replacing the old toilet, so there is currently a 1/2" CPVC supply line coming through the floor, attached to a shut-off valve using what looks like a compression fitting, which is connected to a 1/4" flexible gray plastic line. Since I still have to tile around this, and because there's no escutcheon, I need to replace the shut-off valve with a new one. My problem is that I can't seem to remove the old one. I'm assuming I need to cut it off, but what kind should I get to replace it with?

2) Back when I had the walls down to studs, I had my plumber come and rough in the plumbing for the washer/dryer and the pedestal sink. I've got 1/2" threaded copper pipes coming out of the wall with caps on them. Same question, what kind of shutoff valves do I need?

I'll probably be going to Lowe's, if that matters.

Also, on a slightly related note...what on god's green earth makes these so expensive?

Last edited by syogod; 08-02-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: typos
syogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

1. Get a CPVC 1/2"-to-1/4" shutoff valve and CPVC glue, Cut the old one off with a hacksaw, sand the pipe and inside the valve where it goes with sandpaper, swab on the glue and glue it on.
2. Get chrome-plated brass 1/2" to 3/8" threaded (or compression valves for straight pipe) and stainless steel braided connectors long enough to reach between the valves and the faucet for the sink.
Get a washing machine box that goes between the wall studs and 1/2" hose valves to connect to the washing machine hoses (again, use the stainless steel washing machine hoses).
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
1. Get a CPVC 1/2"-to-1/4" shutoff valve and CPVC glue, Cut the old one off with a hacksaw, sand the pipe and inside the valve where it goes with sandpaper, swab on the glue and glue it on.
2. Get chrome-plated brass 1/2" to 3/8" threaded (or compression valves for straight pipe) and stainless steel braided connectors long enough to reach between the valves and the faucet for the sink.
Get a washing machine box that goes between the wall studs and 1/2" hose valves to connect to the washing machine hoses (again, use the stainless steel washing machine hoses).
Good Luck!
Mike
Sorry to intrude, but for #1, wouldn't he just need to take off the old compression valve (with two wrenches, one to hold it and one to untwist it), and then put a new compression valve with two wrenches? Why would you need to glue?
noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
Good Luck!
Mike
I forgot to mention...for #1, I'm going to be getting a new toilet. So it doesn't have to match the 1/4...just whatever is standard so I won't have problems when I get a new toilet. The toilet in the other bathroom seems to be 1/2".
syogod is offline   Reply With Quote