DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

installing a shutoff valve -- potential problem

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rjniles 
#1 ·
i want to install a shutoff valve in the pipe that leads to an exterior tap. the valve would be located right in the middle of the pipe, as opposed to being located right at the tap itself.

it seems like i may have a problem if i don't cut the exactly precise length of pipe. is there an easy way to avoid this problem? should i simply cut a large section of pipe and use a braided flexible steel pipe to make up the difference?

sorry, i have basically zero plumbing experience here.

(and one other thing -- the how-to article i'm reading says no soldering is required for this job -- is teflon tape/paste really going to prevent a leak?)

#2 ·
Not enough information.

Please post a picture of what you are trying to do, describe the piping being used, and the fittings you intend on using.

From your original post I really have no idea what you are talking about.:eek:

#3 ·
Not enough information.

Please post a picture of what you are trying to do, describe the piping being used, and the fittings you intend on using.

From your original post I really have no idea what you are talking about.:eek:
My bad. I'm not at home right now, so I can't post pics yet, but I'll describe it best I can.

I have a copper pipe running along my basement wall. It leads to an exterior tap. I want to install a shutoff valve in that pipe, somewhere along that inside wall.

I'm a beginner, so I don't know which fittings I will be using -- I assumed I would buy a standard straight valve at the hardware store and that it would come with the right fittings.

I'm concerned about what will happen if, when I cut out the section of pipe where the valve will go, I do not cut it exactly the right length.

Hope this clears things up a bit. Thanks for listening.

#4 ·
Normally, the second valve should be fairly close to the outside faucet, not a distance away. You use a type of valve that has a drain plug (don't recall the exact name). When the valve is shut, you unscrew the drain plug and drain the water out of the section of pipe between the two valves. Otherwise, it can still freeze and burst the pipe.

#6 ·
there should be enough give in the copper line that you don't have to cut it perfect. the valve should be sized to fit on the copper pipe directly, no need for extra fittings. measure the outside diameter (OD) of the pipe to determine the size. 1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD and 3/4" pipe is 7/8" OD. my assumption is that it would be 3/4".

#7 ·
I'd put a ball valve on it. For a few dollars more you get many more years of trouble free use out of it.

The best way is to solder one on there, and you'll probably need a union too just in case there isn't enough give in the piping to get the valve on by itself.

You can actually buy a sharkbite valve (no soldering required) but I wouldn't personally guarantee the o rings to last as long as the valve would, not to mention the o ring seal allows the valve to rotate around the pipe. Not really very practical IMO.

#9 ·
Alan said:
I'd put a ball valve on it. For a few dollars more you get many more years of trouble free use out of it.

The best way is to solder one on there, and you'll probably need a union too just in case there isn't enough give in the piping to get the valve on by itself.

You can actually buy a sharkbite valve (no soldering required) but I wouldn't personally guarantee the o rings to last as long as the valve would, not to mention the o ring seal allows the valve to rotate around the pipe. Not really very practical IMO.
Alan- you are correct about the bite valve would move but not that easy need to make shore there really in there and pipe is level and they do last a very long time hard water like anything cut the life span down.

HP Properties Capital Projects

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.