Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing a shower pump

Hi there,

I have really low pressure in my victorian flat and was thinking of installing a shower pump.

Is this an easy job to do? Is there a limit in the bar rating I can install (not sure if the age of my property has any bearence)

Many thanks

Darren

darrenbooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #2

Installing a shower pump

hi i recently fitted one myself, it was pretty staight forward, all you need to remember is you cant pump from mains pressure(dont conect to the main cold supply where it comes in the house) conect to the cold water storage and the hot water cylinder. make the connections as close as poss to the cold and hot tanks to prevent air in your system
mat125

mat125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 508

Installing a shower pump

I bet the problem is this. Some old vic houses have the old metal pipes not copper. The corrode on the inside there by reducing the amount of water flowing through them. This could also be the case on the main water line feeding inside the house. I bet if you were to cut the main water feed inside your house you would see not 1 inch inside but less than a half because of the corrision. This is a typical problem on a old vic. Are the pipes metal or copper i'm betting the old metal.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 AM   #4

Installing a shower pump

Unfortunately I have no plumbing experience but at the very least has the confidence to do it.(just bought a house so I am complete newbie)

How do I know which is the mains pressure and which is cold water storage and hot water cylinder. My guess is that the main pressure is the pipe which disapears into the ceiling.

My wife said that the hot water ran out quickly (filled a 'normal' bath then finished).

I will take a picture of the boiler cupboard and where I plan to install it if it helps.

SO much THANKS for your help.
darrenbooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #5

Installing a shower pump

all cold taps should be mains pressure so dont tap into any of those. do you have a hot water cylinder in your airing cupboard, if so that is your hot supply, connect the hot off the branch pipe on top of the cylinder (its about 450mm long. just put a tee in the middle of that). the cold storage is usually above the hot water cylinder. tee off the down pipe from that.
mat125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #6

Installing a shower pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbooy View Post
Hi there,

I have really low pressure in my victorian flat and was thinking of installing a shower pump.

Is this an easy job to do? Is there a limit in the bar rating I can install (not sure if the age of my property has any bearence)

Many thanks

Darren
Darren, itís very easy!

If you are looking to feed 1 to 2 showers I would recommend a shower pump with a bar rating of 1.5 to 2, any more than this and itís a 3 bar pump.

View a selection of shower pumps here
http://www.bellabathrooms.co.uk/shower_pumps.html

Drain down your domestic water

Tap into the top of your hot water cylinder, buy an S Flange as this would make it even easier.

Tap into your cold water tank, this is usually located in the loft. Make sure your tapping is below the feed to your hot water cylinder, this prevents the cold water running out before the hot and you not being scolded in the shower.

Now you have the hot and cold feeds to your new shower pump, now from the shower pump take new feeds to your shower.

Turn water back on and test everything for leeks, hey your done!!!

Last edited by Jimbob; 12-14-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote