Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a shower pipe (again)

I just bought a house in Michigan and the only serious problem with it is the only bathroom doesnt have a shower. I looks like they initially sprung a leak and repiped the bathroom without having the money to add the shower part. Shouldnt be too terribly hard, I pretty much have complete access to the pipes. I have not done any real plumbing but am anxious to find out how. It looks like there should be a valve that goes between the hot & cold water pipes and strings up to the shower. My question is whether I am right, what that part is called, and how I would get a pipe up to where the shower head belongs. Please help!? the links are the pictures of what I've got. Thanks!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...05306_0_BG.jpg

I would really enjoy being able to add the drain functionality also seeing as how that doesnt work... if that something i could do in this stage.
donvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #2

I confuse easily,,,you put a new faucet on there that was that much narrower than the old faucet??? How do you plan on covering that empty space now??Whats with the faucet neck that comes up and out?? I cant see clearly on the pic of the BACK of the faucet ,,,is that a pipe plug on top of there??IF so thats where you connect the shower pipe BUT you have to have a diverter valve or something on the nozzle to stop bottom and make upper pipe flow. I myself would buy a faucet that closely as possible matched the width etc of your OLD faucet so the tile etc stays the same,,,put a standard diverter valve on and the shower risor pipe connected to and thru the pretty hole you already have up high and put cover plates so the water doesnt ruin whats left of the wall and go with it. You MAY wanna fix the holes in the tile where somebody had a shower door installed tho,water gets in there and ruins walls fast enough without help.
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #3

Either way you're going to have to buy a new set up with a diverter. So, like justdon said, find one that closely matches the OLD hole in the wall and install it. I guess I don't entirely understand your questions. You have a hot and cold pipe now, you need to add a diverter for the shower. Buy and install a diverter set up, run a pipe up to the hole, a neck through the hole, instant shower. The bigger problem is going to be sealing up those huge holes....

What are you saying about the drain? It doesn't close to fill the tub? Or it doesn't drain? Clarification here....
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Either way you're going to have to buy a new set up with a diverter. So, like justdon said, find one that closely matches the OLD hole in the wall and install it. I guess I don't entirely understand your questions. You have a hot and cold pipe now, you need to add a diverter for the shower. Buy and install a diverter set up, run a pipe up to the hole, a neck through the hole, instant shower. The bigger problem is going to be sealing up those huge holes....

What are you saying about the drain? It doesn't close to fill the tub? Or it doesn't drain? Clarification here....
Sorry to be a novice at this I was just making sure that I only needed a valve. does the diverter valve generally come with the faucet?
As for the drain it just doesnt close, it drains fine but the mechanical part that closes the drain doesnt function.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
I confuse easily,,,you put a new faucet on there that was that much narrower than the old faucet??? How do you plan on covering that empty space now??Whats with the faucet neck that comes up and out?? I cant see clearly on the pic of the BACK of the faucet ,,,is that a pipe plug on top of there??IF so thats where you connect the shower pipe BUT you have to have a diverter valve or something on the nozzle to stop bottom and make upper pipe flow. I myself would buy a faucet that closely as possible matched the width etc of your OLD faucet so the tile etc stays the same,,,put a standard diverter valve on and the shower risor pipe connected to and thru the pretty hole you already have up high and put cover plates so the water doesnt ruin whats left of the wall and go with it. You MAY wanna fix the holes in the tile where somebody had a shower door installed tho,water gets in there and ruins walls fast enough without help.
yah, I havent quite figured out how I'm gonna fill that giant hole... i havent even taken possession of the house yet, but when I do next week I absolutely must figure this out lol
Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

donvier,
Go to a plumbing supply house and look for a large estuchion (sp?) made to cover tile-side holes like you have. They come in chrome and brass color.
You can get a tub spout with diverter on the end of it to solve the shower diverter problem. Pull up the diverter knob on the end of the tub spout, and that sends the water up to the shower.
Also, you may not have a problem now, but sooner than later, that galvanized pipe is going to shoot rusty water out at first every time that you turn on the tub/shower valves.
I would replumb this with copper, PEX or CPVC....anything but obsolete galvanized pipes for water supply.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
donvier,
Go to a plumbing supply house and look for a large estuchion (sp?) made to cover tile-side holes like you have. They come in chrome and brass color.
You can get a tub spout with diverter on the end of it to solve the shower diverter problem. Pull up the diverter knob on the end of the tub spout, and that sends the water up to the shower.
Also, you may not have a problem now, but sooner than later, that galvanized pipe is going to shoot rusty water out at first every time that you turn on the tub/shower valves.
I would replumb this with copper, PEX or CPVC....anything but obsolete galvanized pipes for water supply.
Mike
I will have to look and see if the rest of it is galvanized, the house is roughly 67 years old, im not sure how old those pipes are. would it be worth it if the whole supply line is galvanized? if i get the spout with the diverter do i still need the valve or are they one in the same? i appreciate the advice guys, I will definitely have to find one of those estuchion things, some chrome would match the rest of the bathroom. Thanks a lot! I'm not sure if i can replace the entire supply line if its all galvanized but if it is, is there a way to go from galvanized supply line to copper up to the bathtub? and would it be worth it?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

That's a sink faucet that someone plumbed in using new galvanized lines. You need to get that faucet out of there and put in a new shower body. If you have the money then yes, look into re-pipeing all the galvanized lines in the house because it's only a matter of time until something goes wrong with them. Unless you own a threader you are going to have to transition the pipes to copper to be able to install a new valve.

Another thing. It looks like you have a mold problem behind that wall now. It's probably only going to get worse and aside from the potential health effects you'll start loosing tiles as that wall further deteriorates. A shower wall should be backed by cement board, not by Sheet Rock like yours is. So if you have the time/money I'd rip out those tiles while you're at it and just do the whole thing correctly. If you can't do that right now at least re-seal and re-grout when you're done and spray some bleach or something back there on the mold.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
I blame ProWallGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
That's a sink faucet that someone plumbed in using new galvanized lines. You need to get that faucet out of there and put in a new shower body.
Actually, that is a tub-only faucet called a "bathcock". It has 3/4 inlets to it, and you can see the adapters in the second photo posted increasing the size of the 1/2" pipe to 3/4". They have 3-3/8" center to center on the handles and are made for older fashioned claw foot tubs.

I would change out the valve completely for a tub/shower valve or a tub valve with a twin-ell and a diverter spout. You can look these items up on a plumbing supply website. I would also follow Mike's advice of using a remodel plate to cover the hole in the tile.

Good Luck, and be sure to post a picture of the new set up.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

As long as you are changing the valve i would go with a pressure balance or temp. balance valve per
today's plumbing code !

i have done many change outs like this you go down on the risers remove them put copper or cpvc
adpt's to conect into the new valve, you can get a repair plate that fits round valves as well as 3 handles
as for the tub drain you install a new tub/waste overflow assp. then your drain will work ! !

MACPLUMB MASTER PLUMBER
P. S. PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE ????
MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #11

Where are you in Michigan? Just curious; I live north of Detroit in Ferndale, the houses here are cookie-cutter all built in the late 40's - early 50's.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
I blame ProWallGuy

Mac is right, you should check with your local plumbing inspecter to see what is appropriate and code compliant in your area.

Temperature balancing and pressure balancing are very nice features to have on a shower valve.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Where are you in Michigan? Just curious; I live north of Detroit in Ferndale, the houses here are cookie-cutter all built in the late 40's - early 50's.
I'm in Grand Rapids to the west. It seems most of the houses around here are around the 70 year mark with a few exceptions of course like the rich areas and such.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #14

Ok, in a desperate attempt to simplify this for me lol take a look at this link
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Aside from some piping would that include the valves and all that to divert up to the shower?

Last edited by donvier; 01-22-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
I blame ProWallGuy

Seems to.

But, I wouldn't buy a faucet named after a mythical horse. I'd be to afraid the replacement parts would become mythical as well. Get a name brand faucet that is commonly installed in your area. Check with your local plumbing supply house for that specific information.