Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing shower in basement

Hello, I bought a shower kit. It comes with the base, walls, and door. I would like to install this shower in my basement utility/laundry room. The drainage down there is a four inch hole in the floor. There is a utility sink over it, with a drain pipe that just drops water into this drain. Next to the utility sink is the washer/dryer. The drain from the washer just drains into the utility tub, which drains into this hole.

Next to the washer/dryer I would like to install this shower. Am I able to build a platform for the shower, have its drain pipe slope at a particular pitch depending on the distance from the drain, and just have the water fall into this hole as the utility sink does? What about venting? Iím gathering no P trap is to be used since the floor drain already has one? I suppose plan B would be to dig up the concrete floor.

Thank you for the help/suggestions.

jobblyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

I think you have to go to plan B, the hook-up you have now is completly illegal!

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

i second plan b.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

You will be happier with plan B--That will give you a chance to install a washer drain box,too,If you wish to modernize the whole area..
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Got held up and now getting back to the basement. Completely illegal?! My house was built in 1966 and there is just the floor drain in that room, which the utility sink and the washer use. I guess that was how laundry rooms were set up back in the day?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
DIY staff

Post a picture ,if you can.----You have a freefall drain set up there---not illegal--used in restaurant kitchens all the time---However, your new shower will look like a funky temporary rig that will not add value to the house at all---

If a temporary,make due for now,quality of work suits the job---plan A

If you want the work to improve the house--Plan B
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Doesn't each fixture require its own trap?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
DIY staff

You know,that may be code in residences---I'd tear the floor open and do it right myself.

In a commercial kitchen several fixtures can share a free fall---I have never seen a free fall drain in a residence.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You know,that may be code in residences---
I'm not sure if it's code...but I've heard it mentioned here...

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
DIY staff

A funky installation like that will not improve the house--just drag the value down---

I like to do things right or not at all----------------
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #11

In my code, a shower cannot be run as indirect waste. Also, any indirect waste piping that is over 5' in length must be trapped regardless of where it drains
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_man For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-23-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #12

OK thank you again for the replies. It's nice talking DIY, as all my friends have children or condos so no DIY chat there. I tend to agree with Mike about doing things right, I just tend to also be cheap.

I finally have some photos together. The first photo is of the utility sink, with washer drain hanging off the side. The pipe on the bottom is from the AC and the humidifier drain. I believe this connects to the drop from the kitchen. From there it connects to the main stack. I'm not sure then how the water drains out of the house? I would think it goes out from the main stack, but then the chimney is over that path so I'm not sure. Perhaps it goes out towards the front from the drain under the utility sink? The utility sink is on the back wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing shower in basement-utility_sink.jpg   Installing shower in basement-floor_to_kitchen_drain.jpg   Installing shower in basement-from_kitchen_to_main_stack.jpg   Installing shower in basement-main_stack.jpg   Installing shower in basement-back_corner.jpg  

Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Here is what I'm hoping to do. I would like the new shower in front of the washer and dryer. Then the pipe would go across the floor to under the washer and dryer location. I'm thinking from there branch out so I can have that washer drain outlet. From there connect to the main floor drain. In order for the utility sink not to drain into the floor, I'm thinking of tapping off of the kitchen drain and connecting the utility tub there? Any input, advice, criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing shower in basement-new_shower_location.jpg   Installing shower in basement-washer.jpg   Installing shower in basement-utl_sink_drain.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #14

What about venting? Do I need to run a vent pipe over from the new shower to have it connect to the main 1 1/2" vent going out? That 1 1/2" vent connects in the attic to the large vent from the main waste stack.

Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Ultimatetouch

You should check with your local municipality on the codes. At least where I live anytime your doing a basement remodeling job or installing a new bathroom in a basement, you must install an ejector pit. Then you run your drains to the ejector pit and then it gets pumped overhead to a stack. Not only is this code in every town I have done work in but it will save your basement in the long run. If there is ever sewer back up there are no low spots for the back up to come out of.

ultimatetouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, drain, shower, shower drain, shower stall