Installing Refrigerator Ice Maker Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

installing refrigerator ice maker line

Hi.
I am getting a new refrigerator with an ice maker and I would like to set up the water line myself instead of paying a plumber big bucks to do it.

I am not a plumber and not familiar with all the terms, but comfortable with doing some plumbing. I have done things such as install garbage disposal, install new faucets in bathroom and kitchen, toilet repair. I have a plan, but want to make sure it will work.

My set up is this: sink | dishwasher | fridge
So I know I can run the line behind the dishwasher and drill holes through the cabinets.

Question 1, can I get a braided steel line and will that attach directly to the fridge lines (if so what size for the fridge end?)

Question 2 - more complicated, is attaching under my sink. There is no exposed pipes, just the vavle coming out of the wall, attach to the current line that goes directly to the cold water of the sink (attaching a picture).
I do not want to replace the whole valve as I think that will be REALLY had to get the old valve off.

I saw at the hardware store a part that I can attach between the valve & existing line to add another line (like a splitter). I am wondering if I could also attach an additional valve to that splitter, so the fridge line could be turned on/off independently of the main sink line (and I could do this work before the fridge arrives).

So basically my plan:
1) attach the 'splitter' (I don't know the proper name for this part!)
2) attach another value
3) attach braided steel line, run through back of dishwasher cabinet
4) when fridge arrives, the delivery guys will hopefully attach the braided steel line to the fridge.

Will this work?
Attached Thumbnails
installing refrigerator ice maker line-img_20130705_122752.jpg  

Advertisement

xnera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 684

If you shut the water supply off and relieve the pressure on the line that valve will come off with a couple of adjustable wrench so it can be replace with a double stop with two shut offs.
http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=204

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 508

Replace the valve under the sink.
The braided line most likely not. Only reason is the length they come in. Would need to splice a couple together to make it long enough.
You need a few feet extra behind the fridge for when you pull it out every week and dust

Best choice would to be rolled soft copper tubing, leave it coiled up behind the fridge and will uncoil as you pull it out and coil back up as you push it back in.
Can also use the plastic tubing, just not as durable.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

Thanks.
I will try to install a dual control valve, and just use copper tubing (the refrigerator ice-maker line kit at the store comes with that).
The problem with the valve, I am not sure I am strong enough and it's got a lot of gunk on it, but will see if I can make it work.
Will let you know in a few days...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnera View Post
Thanks.
I will try to install a dual control valve, and just use copper tubing (the refrigerator ice-maker line kit at the store comes with that).
The problem with the valve, I am not sure I am strong enough and it's got a lot of gunk on it, but will see if I can make it work.
Will let you know in a few days...
You can leave the valve alone if it's not leaking.
No need to go to the hassle or expense on changing the valve
Buy this and thread it onto your existing valve. Be sure the branch is 1/4" for the refer

http://www.lowes.com/pd_273101-143-K...ductId=3426030
jmon (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 42

I've had good luck with the standard plastic line kit made for this purpose. It was much easier and accessible in my situation to drill a 3/8" hole through the floor into the basement and find a copper cold water supply line to tap into. The kit comes with a saddle tap. You clamp it onto an exixting 1/2" copper pipe and it has a T handle screw in the tap that punctures the copper pipe and is self-sealing. Mine has been installed for 10+ years now and has not failed yet. I did get in a hurry once and punctured the plastic line under the refrigerator as I was pushing it back into place.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I've had good luck with the standard plastic line kit made for this purpose. It was much easier and accessible in my situation to drill a 3/8" hole through the floor into the basement and find a copper cold water supply line to tap into. The kit comes with a saddle tap. You clamp it onto an exixting 1/2" copper pipe and it has a T handle screw in the tap that punctures the copper pipe and is self-sealing. Mine has been installed for 10+ years now and has not failed yet. I did get in a hurry once and punctured the plastic line under the refrigerator as I was pushing it back into place.
If you are going to go this route, make sure your kit includes a saddle valve that isn't self piercing. The non-piercing ones require a 1/4" hole drilled into the copper pipe that the end of the saddle valve goes into. This setup provides more water flow than the piercing types. Depending on your refridge, you may not get enough water through the self-piercing hole. Amana had a service bulletin on this many years ago and used to have the non-piercing types available for use with their refridges.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #8

well I don't have a basement, and I have no idea where the copper cold water supply line is in the walls, so can't really go that route. My only option as far as I can tell is hook it into the lines for the sink.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
You can leave the valve alone if it's not leaking.
No need to go to the hassle or expense on changing the valve
Buy this and thread it onto your existing valve. Be sure the branch is 1/4" for the refer

http://www.lowes.com/pd_273101-143-K...ductId=3426030
I saw this at the store, but I want the ability to turn the refrigerator line on and off.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

A three way won't do it. You will need a separate tee with a valve.

I don't recommend a piercing valve either- seen more fail than not.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:

Hmm, don't know what you mean by three-way or separate tee with a value (unless you mean what I wrote in my original plan?)

After the first few recommendations,was going to replace the current valve with this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...0#.Ud7ZhaycGOE

I do not have any exposed copper pipe so can't do a piercing valve anyway.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,392

Quote:

E, just a thought, is there some type of 1/2 inch threaded dual outlet dual shut-off that could be used for simplicity? The one that's pictured looks like it needs to be sweated.

Could you possibly unscrew current valve stop, screw on dual outlet, dual shut-off valve and be done with it? That way one would control the icemaker and the other would control the sink & dishwasher. Is there some way to make that configuration work (they do make braided Y supply lines)? Or is the only option a seperate Tee and valve as you have mentioned? Never seen a three way and agree a piercing valve is not the way to go. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 07-11-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: more info
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
E, just a thought, is there some type of 1/2 inch threaded dual outlet dual shut-off that could be used for simplicity? The one that's pictured looks like it needs to be sweated.

Could you possibly unscrew current valve stop, screw on dual outlet, dual shut-off and be done with it. That way one would control the icemaker and the other would control the sink & dishwasher. Is there some way to make it work? Or would you have to go with seperate Tee and valve as you have mentioned? Never seen a three way. Thanks.

Yes - would definitely need to know that! I was just going to buy the dual shut-off one and put it on, didn't know there was more involved than taking off the old and putting on the new....

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post

Could you possibly unscrew current valve stop, screw on dual outlet, dual shut-off valve and be done with it? That way one would control the icemaker and the other would control the sink & dishwasher. Is there some way to make that configuration work (they do make braided Y supply lines)? Or is the only option a separate Tee and valve as you have mentioned? Never seen a three way and agree a piercing valve is not the way to go. Thanks.
The one that is in the link is 1/2" compression with 2 independently valved 3/8 outlets. You need a 1/4" outlet for the ice maker.
They make a 3/8x1/4 adpt that will screw onto one of those ports.
I assume you can get this valve in iron pipe threads as well.

At the bottom left of that linked page is what I refer to as a 3-way. It's just local plumbing slang that's understood at my supply house. It's half the cost and is accepted by our inspectors. But it has only one shut off- technically not code compliant as each fixture needs it's own shut offs

Advertisement

jmon (07-11-2013)