DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Pedestal sink in bathroom

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Piedmont 
#1 ·
I am replacing a cabinet and countertop with a pedestal sink. I have removed the old counter and sink, retiled the floor and purchased the pedestal and basin. I discover that the sink drain is 8" from the wall and the drain pipe and trap come to a minimum of 10" from the wall.
How can I make this work?

#6 ·
normally to get those to work, you need to have a male solvent x male thread adapter glued directly into the fitting (long turn coming out of the wall)

You'll probably have to salvage that hub in some manner, there are a number of tools to do it.

#7 · (Edited)
In Europe, they use what's called a "Bottle Trap" for this situation. However, they are illegal in many parts of the USA because they rely on interior partitions for their trap seal and if the design fails due to corrosion, etc. sewer gas can enter the home (and you can't tell if it's failed without taking it apart, and can't take them apart so you can't tell if it's failed... unless there's a stink). They certainly aren't as cheap as a P-Trap either.

Here's some pictures, prices, and links to bottle traps if they're allowed in your area. http://www.nextag.com/bottle-trap/search-html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.