Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
EspressoMan

Rewards Points: 10

Installing a one piece shower... plumbing issues

I want to install a one piece fiberglass shower stall/tub in a tight space 5 feet wide opening. I will not have access to the plumbing in the void behind the shower head and fawcet because a large iron stack vent runs right in the way of where I would access the plumbing.

1. My thoughts are to use steel mesh encased flexible hose from beneath the floor (accessible in the basement) to the fawcet and the shower hear.

Question: Are there fawcets and shower heads that can be mounted and removed from the front only? I won't be able to reach around and tighten or loosen from behind.

If there are then flexible hose would allow me never to need to get into that void. If a hose sprung a leak I would remove the fawcet and put a new hose in attaching it to each end easily.

singforsupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
EspressoMan

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by singforsupper
I want to install a one piece fiberglass shower stall/tub in a tight space 5 feet wide opening. I will not have access to the plumbing in the void behind the shower head and fawcet because a large iron stack vent runs right in the way of where I would access the plumbing.

1. My thoughts are to use steel mesh encased flexible hose from beneath the floor (accessible in the basement) to the fawcet and the shower hear.

Question: Are there fawcets and shower heads that can be mounted and removed from the front only? I won't be able to reach around and tighten or loosen from behind.

If there are then flexible hose would allow me never to need to get into that void. If a hose sprung a leak I would remove the fawcet and put a new hose in attaching it to each end easily.

The wall behind the void is a partition between my kitchen and the bathroom. One other option I have (though not a fun one) would be to cut out the wall behind the kitchen cabinetry that is opposite the shower void and put some sort of removable access panel hidden in the back of the cabinetry. The upper wall cabinet could hide an access panel for the shower head and the cabinet base could hide an access panel for the fawcet and drain. I guess i would loosly put some thin plywood over the open wall (inside the cabinet) and reinstall the shelving so that it could be lifted out (it's hand made cabinetry and would require knocking out the shelving, removing nails and dropping it back in.

Does that sound feasible?

singforsupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

You might want to look into PEX flexible plastic piping, and yes, there are shower faucets that can be installed from the shower side. They have large estucheon plates that cover the hole necessary for the shower-side installation.
Go to a plumbing supply store to look for them.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote