DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Installing new shower handle after retile (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/installing-new-shower-handle-after-retile-152283/)

xelaw 08-01-2012 11:04 PM

Installing new shower handle after retile
 
I just retiled my shower and left a hole just small enough for the shower handle stem to poke out. I'm not sure where to begin as far as installing a new shower handle. I thought there would be a way to mount a new handle on top of the tile, but that doesn't look like it's the case. I'm assuming I need to cut a hole to mount the trim. Do I need to match the trim kit to the cartridge brand? Here is an image of what I'm working with. Thank you.

xelaw 08-01-2012 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. Getting rid of that tile isn't a big deal. The copper pipe sticking out is 3", my phone was at an angle, so that's probably why it looks shorter.

TheEplumber 08-02-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelaw (Post 979484)
I just retiled my shower and left a hole just small enough for the shower handle stem to poke out. I'm not sure where to begin as far as installing a new shower handle. I thought there would be a way to mount a new handle on top of the tile, but that doesn't look like it's the case. I'm assuming I need to cut a hole to mount the trim. Do I need to match the trim kit to the cartridge brand? Here is an image of what I'm working with. Thank you.

Do you have the white plastic plate that came with the valve? That's called a rough in plate and it should be on the valve body during installation. It is a gauge for the tile work. If your hole is smaller then that plate then your too small.

oh'mike 08-02-2012 07:38 AM

That's a Moen mixer---I see two problems---you need to cut that hole larger---about 4 inches across--an angle grinder might be the best tool for that job--use a diamond blade.

The valve is to deep in the wall---to save that job ,you will need a Moen stem extension kit---

As you have learned the hard way---reusing an old mixer valve instead of replacing is not a savings at all---

Alan 08-02-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 979625)
That's a Moen mixer---I see two problems---you need to cut that hole larger---about 4 inches across--an angle grinder might be the best tool for that job--use a diamond blade.

The valve is to deep in the wall---to save that job ,you will need a Moen stem extension kit---

As you have learned the hard way---reusing an old mixer valve instead of replacing is not a savings at all---

Agree with all of the above. :yes:

xelaw 08-02-2012 09:32 AM

Thanks everyone. How far out does the stem need to be? I think the camera angle I used made everything look shorter in the picture. I'm at work now so I can't measure, but it sticks out at least an inch.

Alan 08-02-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelaw (Post 979699)
Thanks everyone. How far out does the stem need to be? I think the camera angle I used made everything look shorter in the picture. I'm at work now so I can't measure, but it sticks out at least an inch.

The cylinder that the stem goes into should be sticking out some as well.

If only the stem is protruding from the wall then you are at least an inch too deep.

oh'mike 08-02-2012 09:41 AM

Every plumbing house I have used stocks the extension--it also comes with a longer chrome tube to cover the valve----

About two weeks ago a member had to open up the wall with a grinder---post was likely in the 'tile' forum----he did a neat job----let us know if you can't find the thread----someone here will find it for you.

xelaw 08-02-2012 09:49 AM

Thanks, I'll look for that thread.

What do I need to search for to find a new handle that will work with this valve? Moen mixer doesn't turn up much. My valve looks like the Moen PosiTemp in all of the pics I've seen. Any chance that will work?

xelaw 08-02-2012 10:01 AM

This is the only thread that I've been able to find about cutting the tile. It doesn't tell me much.

oh'mike 08-02-2012 10:04 AM

If it's a Positemp then all cover sets made for those will fit----call Moen--their customer service has always been very good--ask the maker---

Plane chrome ones are stocked at most Big box stores---the fancy ones will need to be ordered---

oh'mike 08-02-2012 10:06 AM

Let me see if I can find it-----exact same situation---with pictures---Mike----

xelaw 08-02-2012 02:49 PM

Still haven't found anything else. I've tried to be clever with my search terms. I have a rotary Dremel, a Dremel Trio, and an angle grinder. I'm assuming one of those three things will be useful. Think I need to take this question to the tile forum since it's no longer a plumbing question.

Alan 08-02-2012 10:03 PM

Angle grinder is probably your best bet, however, if you have the trim, i'd recommend putting up some tape over the general area, hold up the cover plate approximately center, and trace a line around it so you know where you need to stay far far away from with your grinder.

Mike mentioned above that you only need approximately a 4" diameter hole, but the line around the trim plate will give you an idea how much of an "uh-oh" will be covered in the end, as it will be difficult to make a perfectly round hole with a grinder.

xelaw 08-04-2012 01:22 AM

OK, I got the stem extension kit and the trim plate. It looks like I don't have to cut the hole any bigger. Seems like the plate can just sit flush against the tiles. If I made a hole, I don't even know what the inner part of the trim plate would go against. I looked at another shower that has part of a trim plate recessed into a hole like everyone was saying, but inner part of that plate is higher than the outer (if you were to lay it flat on a table). On the plate I just got, the inner part and outer part are level. If I needed a bigger hole, wouldn't the inside of the plate be higher than the outside like on the other plate?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved