Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing a new shower base

I am installing a new shower base (brand Asteria, a Jacuzzi brand). The drain system is a rubber compression fitting that simply fits tightly over the 2" drain pipe. When i get the shower base laid in and the compression fitting over the pipe there seems to be some flexing in the bottom center of the shower base around the drain. Is this flexing normal for pre-made shower pans? The subfloor is level in all directions and the drain pipe was cut even with the subfloor as per the instalation instructions. Does anyone have any experience with these pre-made shower pans and is this flexing correct or am I missing a step? Thanks

frgwtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

When I install tubs or shower bases I will either take some drywall mud or a bag od mixed grout and pour into the area where the fixture is going and then set the fixture. This will make the base more solid.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #3

refer to manufacturers specs. i have seen some that gave a little more than others. one model actually stated that the warranty was void if shimming of any kind was used and about three or four instructions down on the same page said "shim where necessary." use your best judgment here. if i think it is necessary, i use mortar mix whipped up a little thin. i want it to stand higher than the unit will sit yet be easily pushed down when you do set the unit. i also take a layer of visqueen and put over the mud cutting out the drain hole so as to not bring the unit into direct contact with the mud. if accessible from the side or back i take wood shims about 1/2" thick by about two feet long and push them up in the mud once the unit is set to give it a little more tightness. don't stand in the unit for 24 hours after you do this or your weight will push down on the bottom and create a void when you step out. thanks, bb
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote