Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a New Dishwasher and Fixing Undersink Plumbing

Hello Everyone!

I am picking up a new dishwaher soon and am going to instll it myself. I am not concerned with hooking it up to the electricity or water, but I have some concerns about the drain connection. My home inspector told me that the old dishwasher drain was hooked up to the wrong place in the undersink plumbing and needed to be changed.

I have attached some photos of my current plumbing set up, I have two sinks and do not have a garberator. The Inspector told me to hook it into the horizontal section of pipe located just to the left of the pea trap. Do you think this is the best way? I have had some friends say that the whole plumbing system down there is a mess and I should totally re-do it, but I don't think they really know what they are talking about.

If anyone can comment on where I should hook the drain in, and what tools and materials I will need I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a New Dishwasher and Fixing Undersink Plumbing-plumbing1.jpg   Installing a New Dishwasher and Fixing Undersink Plumbing-plumbing2.jpg   Installing a New Dishwasher and Fixing Undersink Plumbing-plumbing3.jpg  

tdlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Could have been done with at least 1/2 the fittings they used and have far more usable room under there, I'd also replace those Quest supply lines with stainless steel flex lines.
http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...n+installation

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

With the DW drain attached where it is, the DW is not behind a trap. Maybe a code violation, since every fixture is supposed to be behind a trap...?

You could definitely redo all the drains and make it much cleaner. Also, one thing that maybe a concern is the pipe where the DW drains into... The way it ties in looks a lot like it used to be the vent for that drain. I hope whoever installed it didn't cut the vent line. No vent on the sink drain would be a big no no and a serious health hazard as well.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeepNick For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-25-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

Ya that is the vent, I know it's not supposed to be hooked into there, and when I install my new dishwasher I want to hook it up correctly. The vent isn't cut it still acts as a vent for the kitchen sink, it just also has a dishwasher drain hooked into it.
tdlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Go to your local menards or whatever you have and buy an install kit for a double bowl sink to start with to make life simpler,tell them you need the fitting to instalol a disposal also.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #6

How is it still venting the sink if its capped? Or is there a studor vent on there somewhere? The picture isn't too clear.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNick View Post
With the DW drain attached where it is, the DW is not behind a trap. Maybe a code violation, since every fixture is supposed to be behind a trap...?

You could definitely redo all the drains and make it much cleaner. Also, one thing that maybe a concern is the pipe where the DW drains into... The way it ties in looks a lot like it used to be the vent for that drain. I hope whoever installed it didn't cut the vent line. No vent on the sink drain would be a big no no and a serious health hazard as well.
It seems as though the plumbing is being vented through the dishwasher in his current set up

Tags
dishwasher, drain, plumbing