Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing new bathtub

We are installing a new Acrylic bathtub, and according too the manual, they want me too use Mortar mix and then set the tub into it.

I phone the company and he just said to mix a bag up and pour it in one spot and the same with the next bag.. so a spot here and there, so i am thinking this way it would not be completely supporting the bottom of the tub.. From the wafer board to the floor there is about 3 inches at one end and 4 inches at the other end of the tub.. If i fill that completely with Mortar mix, that also seems like alot of weight

They also want me to build a wooden support frame " Inside" the Outside wall of the tub.. This would be the edge that would get sat on..

What i did for the bottom is I made a support frame for the bottom of the tub, I will still use mortar mix, but i Wont feel i have to cover the whole area of the bottom of the tub with it...

I really wonder how the Pros are doing this, its seems like alot of pre-work too do that the manufacturers should be doing, here some Pictures, would like your thoughts..

The Bottom of the tub

Tub with bottom support frame i made

Tub support rail for Outer top edge,

rick31797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,334

Installing new bathtub

Boy, that's a goofy design---I've never run into a tub that needed so much extra work to install---

Your elevated platform--does that allow the tub to sit level? It looked long on one side in the picture.

I've installed a lot of tubs in my day--but never one that required a stem wall to keep it together--Mike---

Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
Your elevated platform--does that allow the tub to sit level? It looked long on one side in the picture.
No it doesnt allow it to sit level, you need too dry fit and put wedges underneath too level it..
These Tubs are suppose to be high quality, i am beginning too wonder...
The Following User Says Thank You to rick31797 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,944

Installing new bathtub

A quality tub would not need all that extra support, some even come with a hard foam base so there just sat in place, no extra work needed.
Others use what looks sort of like an egg crate grid to support it.
If you do end up using the one you have lay some tar paper over the subfloor before the morter.

Any I've installed with morter just used blob of morter not a full base.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
A quality tub would not need all that extra support, some even come with a hard foam base so there just sat in place, no extra work needed.
Others use what looks sort of like an egg crate grid to support it.
If you do end up using the one you have lay some tar paper over the subfloor before the morter.

Any I've installed with morter just used blob of morter not a full base.
OK thanks for the advice... This Tub is a Maxx, i am wondering if they are apart of American Standard .
Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,202

Installing new bathtub

My approach would be to fasten the platform on top of the floor, not the tub. Cover it with 1/2" osb and add a couple of inches of grout to level it and supply a good base. Place the grout in 3 or 4 cowpiles down the length of the tub. Be sure it's soft enough to squish yet won't slump away and leave a gap.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
My approach would be to fasten the platform on top of the floor, not the tub. Cover it with 1/2" osb and add a couple of inches of grout to level it and supply a good base. Place the grout in 3 or 4 cowpiles down the length of the tub. Be sure it's soft enough to squish yet won't slump away and leave a gap.
+1. And don't forget to fill the tub w/ water in order to get it to settle properly if using grout or mortar.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
That's a interesting thought, the only issue i have with it is , where it stands now the new tub from the floor too the top edge 20 inches, i don't want too add any more height.. the old tub we are taking out is 15 inches high, it going to take some time getting use too the extra 4 inches..I may need a ladder...lol
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,202

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick31797 View Post
That's a interesting thought, the only issue i have with it is , where it stands now the new tub from the floor too the top edge 20 inches, i don't want too add any more height.. the old tub we are taking out is 15 inches high, it going to take some time getting use too the extra 4 inches..I may need a ladder...lol
But your tub is not 20" deep is it? Only the skirt is right? Build up the floor so you have a couple inches left then fill that gap with mortar.
Perhaps I'm not understanding something but I've set a lot of tubs this way.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
But your tub is not 20" deep is it? Only the skirt is right? Build up the floor so you have a couple inches left then fill that gap with mortar.
Perhaps I'm not understanding something but I've set a lot of tubs this way.
thats right the skirt is 20 inches from the bottom to to top edge..
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,172

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick31797 View Post
OK thanks for the advice... This Tub is a Maxx, i am wondering if they are apart of American Standard .
think maxx is from canada....???? can someone help...ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #12

Installing new bathtub

Quote:
think maxx is from canada....???? can someone help...ben
Yes Maxx is from Canada, I think Quebec....

Also i contacted Maxx and sent them the pictures of the tub and frame and they didn't like it..They said the frame is throwing off the pitch of the tub, so it sounds like it would not be level, but i may still have too wedge it .

They also said the tub bottom is strong enough too support a person , and does not need any support underneath it but as an option they suggest to fix up mortar and put some in a garbage bag, tie it and place it , in a few areas.
so i will do that.. I also left the frame inside the outside wall, it is required..I could have just built a support piece in the bathroom and then lowered the tub over it..

I still need too apply 1x3 on both ends and the wall side , this will give some support to the outer rim.

Last edited by rick31797; 06-04-2012 at 06:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick31797 For This Useful Post:
Homerepairguy (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 77

Installing new bathtub

Hi Rick. I am going through the exact same issue as you were. I bought a Crane Plumbing Canada tub and was concerned with the no bottom support.

Pic didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. But you can see the platform and leg (on the left) that are attached to the tub with fibreglass. But there is nothing in the middle. Another friend bought a Maxx tub and his had 2 "X" supports in the center. Maybe I will go with the mortar in a bag idea. And if that fails, maybe I'll put my head in the bag and see how it works lol.

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Installing new bathtub

HI

I can see you have nothing in the middle, atleast mine has a piece of wafer covering the bottom as in the first picture..I would mix up some Mortar and bag it and place it down the centre and set the tub down on it..It looks like you dont have much space between the floor and tub.. also if you have a side skirt , it will need to have support...
alot more work to these new tubs compared too the metal ones..
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 77

Installing new bathtub

Just got off the phone with Crane Plumbing (which is a subsidiary of American Standard) and she said "there is nothing in the middle for support because it's not needed, the tub has been tested". As Maxx said to you, I may throw some mortar down but it is totally not necessary.

I think I feel my headache going away

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote