Installing New Bathroom Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
First Old House

Rewards Points: 10

Installing new bathroom sink

I have replaced the vanity in my bathroom with a new vanity and sink. Everything is in and looks fine, but I'm having some plumbing issues.

I installed a "Lavatory Grid Strainer with open grid cast strainer and polished chrome finish" that I picked up from Lowes into the new basin. I'm using the same faucet from the previous installation, as it is pretty nice.

The chrome pipe that comes with the grid strainer runs into a PVC P-trap (original). So basically all I've done is put in a new 6" of pipe from the sink to the trap.

HOWEVER, when I run water, it is stopped up (like it is clogged). If I suction it (with a suction cup or a plunger), it will drain. However, I have to suction anew each time.

I feel like I'm missing a simple step to prime the drain, but I haven't been able to figure it out or google for it. What should I do?

Advertisement

paxprobellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

Not sure what you mean by priming the drain.Is it possible that a piece of packaging was left in the new drain by accident?Is your faucet the type with the rod for closing the drain stopper? Did some part of the old sink fall into the trap?I've even forgotten the rag I used to temporarily block the vent smell in the final assembly.But I'm sure I'm the only person that's ever done that.

Advertisement

Last edited by daveb1; 02-01-2010 at 09:12 AM.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you have a pic of the drain pipes ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
First Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Do you have a pic of the drain pipes ?
The Pipes:

I also uploaded a movie to show what I mean about "flushing" the sink:
Sink Video
Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
First Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Not sure what you mean by priming the drain.Is it possible that a piece of packaging was left in the new drain by accident?Is your faucet the type with the rod for closing the drain stopper? Did some part of the old sink fall into the trap?I've even forgotten the rag I used to temporarily block the vent smell in the final assembly.But I'm sure I'm the only person that's ever done that.
See the above video about the drain.

The faucet used to be one with the rod for closing the drain stopper -- the new one is not.

I've taken the entire assembly apart to make sure I didn't leave anything in there. It's totally clear.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is there a vent in that piping in the wall ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 264

I suspect part or all of the problem is the trap is on backwards. The chrome pipe is called a tail piece and the straight white pipe is a tail piece extension. The part that goes into the pipe in the wall is call a J-Bend and the U shaped pipe is the trap. The trap is the part you have backward. The fat part is meant to allow adjustment so you do not need to cut the tail piece or tail piece extension exactly right. The tail piece extension has the same fat part of the pipe for the same reason. I suspect what is happening is the tail piece extension is hitting the bend in the trap and not letting the water escape. Make sure your tail piece extension is pushed all the way up on the tail piece, flip the trap (U-Shape) around then measure and cut the tail piece extension so it ends about 3/4 the way into the fat part of the trap. Put it all together making sure you have the correct washers in place hand tightening all the nuts. As Dave said you may have a problem with the vent but if the old sink drained O.K. this one should also. Let us know what happens one you fix the trap problem.

(Dave - I was surprised you did not catch the backward trap.)

Rege

Last edited by RegeSullivan; 02-02-2010 at 11:09 AM.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #8

Paxprobellum,

Did you ever solve this slow draining sink issue? I have a new two sink vanity and both sinks drain identically to the one shown in your video.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
jonny_homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
First Old House

Over time it got better, but it isn't really fixed. I think I finally decided that it is because the drain pipe going to the main stack has less of a slope than it did before, since the lead pipe from the sink is longer than it was before. That being said, it's not NEARLY as bad as it was, so give it some time and re-examine your pipes.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

The plumber who installed my grid strainers claimed that the solution to the slow draining sinks should be to "simply use a small plunger once a day". He said this after he came back and observed the problem, which looked identical to your video. Obviously, the suggestion that a new sink(with all new plumbing) should require daily plunging is absolutely ridiculous. I opted to fix it myself, or at least attempt to do so.

It turns out that the problem was a result of air being trapped in the outlet tube. It appears to be fairly common knowledge that sinks lacking an overflow option often times have a slow-drain issue. The anomaly was that my new sink bowls both had overflow options, which should have allowed air to escape, thus allowing the water to drain freely. When I disassembled the grid strainer on each bowl, I discovered that the plumber(mentioned above, not by name of course) had completely filled the air cavity of the bowl and air holes of the outlet tube with plumber's putty, blocking the ability of air in the outlet tube to escape through the overflow path(there are four holes in the threaded portion of the outlet tube which are supposed to open freely into a small circular cavity in the bottom of the bowl which connects to the overflow shaft).

I cleaned the grid strainer, rubber gasket, slip washer, flange nut, and outlet tube, and dried them all completely. I also removed all of the original plumbers putty and cleaned the bowl drain to like-new condition. Then I re-installed the entire assembly per multiple sets of directions found on various manufacturer websites for grid strainer drain installation. The plumber's putty was only required where the grid strainer made contact with the drain hole of the sink. The sink is now draining perfectly, consistently, and extremely quickly, and without leaks(fingers crossed that this will last).

If your sink has an overflow option, perhaps this is the problem.

Cheers
jonny_homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonny_homeowner For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (09-06-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

I remember I had the same problem on a service call a few years back. Mobile home, weekend, and the only thing I could find to use was a grid strainer. That thing would never drain. I went so far as to remove the trap, put a bucket under the tailpiece, and fill the basin. I only got a trickle of water. Finally realized I could use my hand to tap the air bubbles out of the grids and create a siphon. Drained awesome after I did it, every time. Grid strainers are junk, I'd seriously look at getting something else. Good luck

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote