Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing interior drain tile

I have a crawl space (gravel floor) and I am getting the heavy plastic liner to seal out the moisture. I would like to install a drain tile myself and was wondering if anyone has detailed instructions how to do this. It seems pretty easy, but want to make sure I am not missing anything. I have a sump alreayd in place.

Tim

timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Interior drain tile I assume? First, make sure you have an outside drain. That's the most important one, and is where I'd focus my efforts if you have neither.

Either way, the drain needs to be at the level of the footing to be most effective. Be careful not to undermine the footing by disturbing soil under it or within the 45 degree load path of the footing. Install perforated drain (in a drain sock is even better) around the perimeter. It must be very level, or slightly pitched toward the sump pit. It must enter the pit at the same level or lower, as water won't flow uphill. The drain needs to be basically surrounded with gravel, and covered with no less than 6" of gravel.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

thanks. I have gotten 2 quotes so far and they both said it will be a couple inches below the existing grade of the floor. One contractor is proposing a new concrete floor and the other a 20mil liner.
timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote