DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Installing drain for shower base (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/installing-drain-shower-base-184030/)

nyc_nhp 07-22-2013 12:16 PM

Installing drain for shower base
 
Hey Guys,

I am installing a shower base and I am having trouble finding a drain kit for my shower. I need something to connect the drain to the 1.5 waste pipe.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_150584-7-721...eft&facetInfo=

djlandkpl 07-22-2013 12:50 PM

Your shower drain pipe is supposed to be 2 inches.

md2lgyk 07-22-2013 12:56 PM

Indeed. 1.5" is fine for tub/shower combinations, but just a shower requires a 2-inch drain.

nyc_nhp 07-22-2013 01:22 PM

but my cast iron pipe is 1.5", how would i go in there with a 2" drain pipe

Ghostmaker 07-22-2013 02:28 PM

http://www.fixtureuniverse.com/produ...src=aw.ds#aDim

md2lgyk 07-23-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc_nhp (Post 1219478)
but my cast iron pipe is 1.5", how would i go in there with a 2" drain pipe

You wouldn't. The entire drain needs to be replaced with 2-inch if you want to be code compliant.

Ghostmaker 07-23-2013 12:10 PM

If he is in a state that follows IPC 1.5 inch drain meets the code on a shower.

md2lgyk 07-24-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostmaker (Post 1219905)
If he is in a state that follows IPC 1.5 inch drain meets the code on a shower.

Only if he's under the 2007 version or newer.

Ghostmaker 07-24-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1220237)
Only if he's under the 2007 version or newer.

Thats like 6 years old...

In truth a single shower head will not overpower a 1.5 inch drain.

md2lgyk 07-25-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostmaker (Post 1220493)
Thats like 6 years old...

In truth a single shower head will not overpower a 1.5 inch drain.

Well, every jurisdiction doesn't instantly adopt new code versions. When I built my house three years ago, the applicable code was still IRC 2003.

I suspect the change in drain size is related to the almost universal requirement now for low-flow shower heads.

Ghostmaker 07-25-2013 07:21 PM

I guess that explains why Ohio and WV do not share license for plumbing...

md2lgyk 07-26-2013 08:58 AM

There are a lot of things WV doesn't share. I used to be a police officer in another state. When we moved to WV in 1999, I looked into a part-time job with the local department. Most states will accept LEO certification from another state, but not WV. For a part-time, maybe $15 an hour job, I'd have to first pay my own way through their 34-week police academy. Since I was already over 50, I didn't see that as something I really wanted to do. Once was enough LOL.

Ghostmaker 07-26-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1221137)
There are a lot of things WV doesn't share. I used to be a police officer in another state. When we moved to WV in 1999, I looked into a part-time job with the local department. Most states will accept LEO certification from another state, but not WV. For a part-time, maybe $15 an hour job, I'd have to first pay my own way through their 34-week police academy. Since I was already over 50, I didn't see that as something I really wanted to do. Once was enough LOL.

Can't blame you there. I went in the USN at 26 boot camp damn near killed me. :eek:

md2lgyk 07-26-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostmaker (Post 1221434)
Can't blame you there. I went in the USN at 26 boot camp damn near killed me. :eek:

Really? I joined the Navy at 19 in 1967, and boot camp wasn't all that tough. ET school and Nuclear Power School were a ***** though.

Ghostmaker 07-26-2013 08:24 PM

I was a surface ET my what a small world..
The running was tuff. Plumbing had lots of ditch digging but no running involved not to mention 13 years of smoking did not help...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.