Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

Installing drain line parcially upgrade.

Hello,

I am in the middle of installing a bathroom in my basement. I have already jackhammered the floor, tapped into my sewer line and ran most of my 3" PVC ( all I have to say is next time I am using a stick of dynomite on the cast iron sewer line.. I am going to sore for a week-That SUCKED)

Anyway off to the left of my branch line I am running a drain pipe that will connect to my trap for the tub. Right in my way is the 2 inch cast iron footer drain pipe. I either have to go over it or underneath it.This will create a steep up-grade pitch either on the trap side (If I go over it) or on the branch line side (if I go under it). The pipe is low enouph yet high enouph to do either. I am at a loss and really dont know what to do here.

With the up-grade pitch is there a chance that the tub would not drain properly? Which way should I go? Could some one give me a professional option? I asked the guy and home depot and after 10 minutes of him rambling it really didnt give me a good answer. Thanks!

John

jbravo8212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

What is a cast iron footer? Can you take a picture?
Back pitching the pipe will cause problems.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #3

The pipe is the one that runs from the footer drain that surrounds the perimeter of the house. I will upload pictures.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #4

Does the footer drain tie into your main waste line? If it does it may be best to upsize the line for the footer drain and add a fitting in that line for your bathroom. Hopefully though their is some way to avoid that line altogether.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

Alright I tried to upload pictures and my files were too big. if I down size them you cant see what Im talking about or they become blurred. I uploaded a temporary page to one of my websites. Very basic, just enouph to show the pictures.

http://www.mtgprotection.com/tempimages.html

Thanks!

John
Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #6

It looks like you have enough room to just run that line straight without dropping down like that. Where does it bring you if you do it that way?
I hate to say it but I don't see many alternatives to running that line straight over the cast. Re-routing the cast iron line is one, dealing with some drainage problems in the future are another.

Another possibility would be to raise the floor in the bathroom in order to run that PVC straight over the cast if you can't do it now. Once it's framed out add an inch of mud, even a inch and a half if necessary. That will give you some more height, the trade off is a small step up to the bathroom.

Last edited by Marlin; 02-18-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #7

If I run it underneath the line is pitched up-grade slightly. I went to a local plumbing supply place and the plumber informed me that I could run it over top of the footer drain line with rebar and extra reinforcements to be safe. He said adding concrete board to the floor would be helpful also.

I think this is the route I am going to go. I just want to get it done so I can move on with the rest of the basement. After I am done with this bathroom its smooth sailing from there!

Thanks for all of your help!

John
Old 02-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
electrical contractor

Three basic rules of plumbing
1. Hot is on the left
2. Cold is on the right
3. S*** dont run uphill

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #9

Here's what I would do. Run your 2" drain line close to the cast iron pipe w/ 1/8 in. per foot grade. Use a 45 and street 45, or 2 45's to get over the pipe. Then drop down to your with an all glued P-trap to get low enough if needed. The way you're piping right now looks like when your trap is full of water, so are the 45's. Could be a possible plugging problem later.If your PVC drain line is laid in your concrete on the bottom side of the slab I would'nt worry about it. ( rebar etc.)

Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote