DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing drain line parcially upgrade.

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Fitter 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am in the middle of installing a bathroom in my basement. I have already jackhammered the floor, tapped into my sewer line and ran most of my 3" PVC ( all I have to say is next time I am using a stick of dynomite on the cast iron sewer line.. I am going to sore for a week-That SUCKED)

Anyway off to the left of my branch line I am running a drain pipe that will connect to my trap for the tub. Right in my way is the 2 inch cast iron footer drain pipe. I either have to go over it or underneath it.This will create a steep up-grade pitch either on the trap side (If I go over it) or on the branch line side (if I go under it). The pipe is low enouph yet high enouph to do either. I am at a loss and really dont know what to do here.

With the up-grade pitch is there a chance that the tub would not drain properly? Which way should I go? Could some one give me a professional option? I asked the guy and home depot and after 10 minutes of him rambling it really didnt give me a good answer. Thanks!

John

#6 · (Edited)
It looks like you have enough room to just run that line straight without dropping down like that. Where does it bring you if you do it that way?
I hate to say it but I don't see many alternatives to running that line straight over the cast. Re-routing the cast iron line is one, dealing with some drainage problems in the future are another.

Another possibility would be to raise the floor in the bathroom in order to run that PVC straight over the cast if you can't do it now. Once it's framed out add an inch of mud, even a inch and a half if necessary. That will give you some more height, the trade off is a small step up to the bathroom.

#7 ·
If I run it underneath the line is pitched up-grade slightly. I went to a local plumbing supply place and the plumber informed me that I could run it over top of the footer drain line with rebar and extra reinforcements to be safe. He said adding concrete board to the floor would be helpful also.

I think this is the route I am going to go. I just want to get it done so I can move on with the rest of the basement. After I am done with this bathroom its smooth sailing from there!

Thanks for all of your help!

John

#9 ·
Here's what I would do. Run your 2" drain line close to the cast iron pipe w/ 1/8 in. per foot grade. Use a 45 and street 45, or 2 45's to get over the pipe. Then drop down to your with an all glued P-trap to get low enough if needed. The way you're piping right now looks like when your trap is full of water, so are the 45's. Could be a possible plugging problem later.If your PVC drain line is laid in your concrete on the bottom side of the slab I would'nt worry about it. ( rebar etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.