Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Installing diswasher

What are the basics for putting a dishwasher in. I will need to remove some drawers but have the space under the kitchen counter. Is it just as easy as running hot water and electricity to it as well as a waste pipe?

Rich

Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Remodeler

Installing diswasher

Yes,
I would use a GFCI protected circuit. The waste pipe is a hose that runs into your existing sink drain into a Y. Most will heat the water for you so cold is all that is needed. Level, and solid and it will run quieter and stable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Installing diswasher

Check with your Building Inspection Department for local code and inspection and permit requirements for a dishwasher. Most usually call for a dedicated dw electrical circuit and an air gap.
It should have a dedicated 110v electrical circuit outlet (usually best put behind it). It normally doesn't have to be on a GFCI. If it ever trips a GFCI, and it's installed behind it instead of under the sink, you'll have to remove the dw from the cabinet to get to it to re-set it. The breaker should trip anyway if there's a problem.
If you're going to have to run a new circuit, I would run it off a 20 amp breaker with 12/2-with-ground wiring in case someone ever wanted to put in a heavy-duty dw. (Code and dw manufacturers usually just call for 15 amp with 14/2wg wire circuit.)
If you don't have a disposal with dw connection, you will have to install a new tailpiece with a dw "Y", preferably under the nearest side of the kitchen sink, for the drain hose connection. Loop the drain hose over the dw, either directly to the "Y" or above-the-sink air gap and then to the "Y" if an air gap is required.
If you have a disposal with a dw connection, don't forget to use a hammer and screwdriver to remove the plastic knock-out plug down in the disposal dw pipe before attaching the drain hose.
Check the particular dw for water connection instructions. Cold is O.K. on most new ones, but I always just connect mine to the hot water line. Whichever, use a separate dw water shut-off valve off of a "T" in the line to connect the dw supply line (may need to buy the supply line separately).
If you're ever planning on adding tile or a wood floor in the kitchen, now is a good time raise the cabinet base (shim up at least the thickness of the tile or flooring). If you install a dw in a cabinet base sitting on vinyl flooring and later someone adds tile for instance, it will trap the dw under the cabinet.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 05-22-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #4

Installing diswasher

Thanks for the info guys, that is about what I thought. My only hang-up is the dedicated circut, was hoping that it would be okay to tie into the kitchen wiring.

Rich
Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote