Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing a Dishwasher in a raised house from scratch

My house did not have a dishwasher and I need more cabinet space so I added cabinets and a dishwasher on an empty wall. The wall is across the room from the sink and had nothing to install a dishwasher. I have a raised house and have easy acces to below the floor.

My dishwasher is on a wall that is about 6 ft away from the sink in the kitchen. Is it possible to tie into the drain line from this far away? It would probably be 10ft after going under the house, across the kitchen and back up into the new cabinet.

Also, what size supply line do I need to run for just a dishwasher and what sort of valve should I use. I have all PVC pip under the house now. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a rough draft of where everything is located.

thanks,

Chris
Attached Images

cpshockl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #2

You need a supply line from a hot water line. Flex stainless steel lines are available for connecting a DW once you get the line close to the DW.

A drain....that may be the hard part. Ideally it connects into the kitchen sink drain, but that is too far away. Not sure how things are laid out under your floor.

Power.....ideally it should be on its' own 15A ciercuit, so run a new line.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Your drain--water line and power are the easy part----The drain is going to need a vent pipe---

That will be the hard part.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

First, check with your local Building Inspection Department for local codes. You will need permit(s) and inspections anyway.
They can tell you what is required.
As advised, you will probably need a dedicated minimum 15 amp circuit. (Since it is going to be a new home run from the panel anyway, I would go ahead and put in a 20 amp circuit (20 amp single pole breaker with 12/2 w/ground wiring) in case someone ever wanted to install a heavy-duty dw.)
You also will need a 1/2"-pipe-down-to-a-3/8" dw connector hot water line to the dw with an easily accessible shut-off valve (probably under the kitchen sink). The only PVC pipe in your plumbing should be for drain or cold water only. You most likely have CPVC pipes, which allow hot water. PVC does not. They also need different glues...made for the material.
Your dw will need a trapped and vented drain line, sloped 1/4" per linear foot toward the next largest drain line connection. Also, there may be an above-counter air-gap required in the dw drainline connection before the trap. As noted, the vent is probably going to be your main problem, unless your local code would allow an air admittance valve www.studor.net (check that local code out).
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 05-19-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Leak Master

Seems to me for this situation, you best bet would be to hire a plumber. As mentioned in previous post, you will have to do some significant plumbing work to make the installation correct. There is nothing worse than taking a whole day or more, and then not have a proper working appliance, or worse than that, having a flood because something was not hooked up properly.

Some things that are needed for this to be correct

1. Minimum 1/2 inch water supply for appliance.
2. A separate 1/1/2 in drain line with an airgap.
3. Separate electrical line.
O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dishwasher, drain line, new appliance, plumbing, supply line