DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installed a new Moen Diverter and now have leaks at athe hot and cold screw joints

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ogies 
#1 ·
Hi All

Please dont laugh but I really am new to DIY plumbing. I thought today I had this whole installation thing down to a tee. Good solder joints, no issue ,no leaks. However I think I made mistake 101 as I never put any teflon tape on the screw joints as I thought soldering would just melt it. I never knew about plumbers dope either.

So the question is I have a slow leak. Is there anything I can do to the screw joing to fix this or does it mean I need to cut it all out and restart from scratch.

If I have to start again do I use teflon tape and plumber dope on the screw joints and will the heat damage it when I solder.

Any advise for a stupid DIY user who is feeling bad that the family has water tonight.

Help please Alan.

#3 ·
Update - Ogies

Thanks Mike. I have actually cut out the valve and started again. I did a much better job of researching it this time. I have bought plumbers dope and so far so good. Hopefully in the next hour the family will be smiling again. This site had some excellent chat threads to pick up key tips.

Thanks guys:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.