Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

installed new hot water tank and now we only get hot water if 2 sinks on at same time

We moved into a new house and the hot water worked fine. We noticed leakage from our hot water tank and so we bought a new electric tank. My husband and father-in-law installed it themselves and ever since then the hot water does not get hot. It is lukewarm in our kitchen and works ok in the shower upstairs. Our one bathroom sink upstairs doesn't get any hot water but the tub does??? Also, the kitchen sink will get very hot but only if we turn on another faucet, so it makes me think that it has something to do with pressure? Does anyone know why this would be happening and what I can do about it? Thanks!

Terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

installed new hot water tank and now we only get hot water if 2 sinks on at same time

Did it work fine before they messed with it?

Check to makesure the copper pipes are correctly installed at the water heater. You should have a cold line coming straight into the water heater then a hot line leaving the heater. You can feel the pipes and see if they're cold or hot. Makesure the C on the waterheater is the cold pipe and the H on the waterheater is the hot pipe.

Also you can further troubleshoot by turning off the water pressure to the waterheater, then turning on the sinks to hot and see if water quits coming out on them all. The faucets should be able to have water come out when on cold but nothing when on hot.

If it was like that before or you're unsure then there might be a plumbing problem where someone installed something and messedup the cold and hot.

also makesure the temp on the water heater is turned up, it might be on low and isn't getting hot enough to feel hot. Try running the water for a while to see whatsup.

justinm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

First of all, thanks for the reply! The hot water worked fine before they installed the new tank. So I am assuming something was not done right? ... also, I don't think that it can be that the temp isn't up enough because when i turn on the kitchen sink alone, it does not get hot, but if i turn on the kitchen sink and then go upstairs and turn on the tub at the same time, the kitchen sink gets steaming hot. I just don't know what it could be...might have something to do with the fact that I have NO experience in plumbing!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

When installing another hot water pipe it's pretty straightforward. I don't see how they could of messed up anything unless they used smaller/larger fittings or did a major install and might of connected a cold pipe to the hot. Usually you just unplug the old waterheater, then cut the old pipe and solder a new one that fits. If they put the H on the cold pipe and the C on the hot pipe that might mess with the pressure inside the tank, im not sure.

Try leaving the water on for a while and see if it gets hotter, the lines might just need to be flushed. Also try turning off the hot water valve, opening up every faucet to hot water and let all the water drain out. then turn the hot water back on and see if it makes it any hotter.

Further distances you'll see colder water but usually it isn't a huge difference in tempature.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #5

OK thanks. I will try those things. The kitchen is actually right above where the tank is, so you would think it would get to the sink the fastest?? Thanks again
Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #6

yes, they purposely try to run the kitchen (dishwasher) to be close to the water heater so there's minimal heat loss.