Installation Of Shower Stall In Basement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installation of shower stall in basement

I am planning to remodel current powder room (see diagram) to include a shower. Obviously, i need to break up the concrete floor to tie in some drainage pipes.

My questions are; Where is the best location to begin breaking up the floor to find the existing drainage pipes? And how do i determine which way the drainage flows?

Other info;
home was built in early 70's
all drains are ABS
second storey toilet located above basement toilet (aprox)

Thank you for your guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Installation of shower stall in basement-basement-shower-install.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Herbz; 11-15-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Herbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbz View Post
I am planning to remodel current powder room (see diagram) to include a shower. Obviously, i need to break up the concrete floor to tie in some drainage pipes.

My questions are; Where is the best location to begin breaking up the floor to find the existing drainage pipes? And how do i determine which way the drainage flows?

Other info;
home was built in early 70's
all drains are ABS
second storey toilet located above basement toilet (aprox)

Thank you for your guidance.
sound's like a good plumber can help with that. Now the floor drain has a open pipe don't know what size. If just a shower and that isn't that far away ?? with out a floor plan ??

Advertisement

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
Herbz (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

An experienced plumber could apply some supposition to your drain system and work it out for you. If you intend to do this yourself you need to know if the sewer flows to the front or to the rear of your property. Other factors such as vent stacks and additional floor drains location may be helpful also.

In the absence of a plumber...

One thing you could do is to run a steel snake inside the existing floor drain several feet then use a stethoscope to listen to the floor while someone else agitates the snake inside the pipe. You will be able to clearly hear the snake moving inside the pipe and locate a place to open the floor.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I am assuming that the floor drain heads toward the cleanout value where the venting occurs. Also, i will perform your technique at the cleanout valve to further determine the direction and size of drainage pipe (it must head toward the toilet??). thanks.
Herbz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement bathroom , plumbing , shower install