Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
sweaty

Share |

Install Water Line For Refrigerator

I am getting a new refrigerator and I would like to try to install the water line myself for the water dispenser/ ice maker. The kitchen is right above the utility room. The sink is on the opposite side of the kitchen from the refrigerator.

Any tips or instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #2

Find a cold water line and install a valve ( not saddle) and a reducer to
1/4" and install 1/4" copper (L type) to refrigerator, make a loop in back of the fridge to be able to install the line and pull the fridge out for service. Secure the line to the back of the fridge using an existing screw hole with a small clamp.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
DIYer

Question

I keep trying to create a new thread and keep getting database errors so I'm hijacking a similar thread...

I'm in the middle of my kitchen renovation and I already ran the 1/4 flex copper line from the basement up through the wall and connected it to the fridge.

I cut a hole in the drywall at the floor that's about 6x12 inches. I'm at the stage of the project where I'm closing up all my drywall access holes. What are some ideas to cleanly bring the water line into the kitchen through the wall?

I was planning to just mud around the pipe and close it up right in the wall. I googled and found the ice maker box. Is one required? What is common for a renovation/retrofit?

The wife doesn't like the idea of just having the copper tubing come through the wall because it's not pretty.
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

I plumbed mine 1/2 inch all the way and used an icemaker box I bought at Home Depot. The box has the ball valve for a 1/4" line to the fridge. I don't like saddle valves or having to go to the basement to shut the water off to the fridge if needed. But that's what I like personally.

And.... the box looks pretty ;o)
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote