Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Install undersink filter or whole house!?

Originally I was going to have a plumber install a whole house filter under the house but held off. I figured after the shutoff under my house but that's in a crawlspace which I was concerned could be a problem during winter(freezing/cracking). Wanted the house filtered so all bath sinks/showers/toilets where covered as well as sink, fridge, etc... But since I was unsure about the installation I looked into one for under the kitchen sink so atleast that is filtered and I can then use the ice maker.

So yesterday i was looking at the whirlpool filters for under the kitchen sink at my local lowes/homedepot. Here's the concerns I had with this install. The cold pipe comes up from the floor/bottom and then 't's off going up and right, both going to valves. The valve going right is for the ice maker and the valve going up is for the sink. Now all the plumbing up to the sink is copper pipe, nothing flexible so wasn't sure if I could do that myself since I can't manipulate the pipe into the new filter/lines.

So how can should go about filtering my house? As I said, I looked at local stores for undersink filter but then with some searching online tonight I came across fridge water/icemaker specific filters. Should I be getting the icemaker filter for that valve line and a seperate filter for the sink valve? Or would one filter be ok for both? Is it even possible to use one filter considering the 2 valve setup i currently have under the sink?

Aside from the under sink setup/concerns....should I just go through with a full house filtering instead? Is it ok under the house or could I go about it a different way??

Thanks for any help with this!

Mike

Mike2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

All depends on what you are filtering. But I don't like undersink filters of any kind. Too hard to work on and too great a chance for damaging water spills. If you have fairly good water, a sink only filter is good, If you have a lot of sediment and other nasties, whole house is best.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Yeah, I don't trust the water in my area but as described in my post, my main concern was installation of these filters, undersink or whole house.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 526

I comes down to what are you looking at taking out of the water and if you are good with just the kitchen sink or you would like the bathroom shower as well.

Freeze should not be to big of a problem if you have gone through winters before and there has not been a freeze problem under the house.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

Just moved into the house this year. I was being told that the house filter could possibly crack due to cold weather under the house but what would I be noticing now as far as a freezing problem under the house during the winter?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

A whole house filter is going to filter ALL the water you use, shower, dish washing, even the toilets. Do you NEED this water to be cleaner? What exactly is wrong with your water, have you had it tested? I believe some companies will test it for free, I heard Sears is one of them so look into that.

A whole house filter will be expensive and need to be replaced more often since it is treating so much water.

If you have an under sink filter it is still going to be filtering unnecessary water, which is the water you use for dish cleaning. Why filter all the water coming out of your kitchen sink but not your bathroom sink?

Unless you have a really bad water issue, I'd recommend using a simple undersink filter with a separate spigot. This will allow you to get clean, filtered water for drinking and cooking, but use the normal unfiltered water for the dishwashing and other stuff.

This type of separate spigot system are easy to install and are very cost effective, while giving you good water. As for your ice maker, they make separate inline filters that you can put in the tubing going to the fridge.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #7

Ok maybe I should have worded it differently....... if i go with a whole house filter, will it crack or cause some sort of issues being under the house? No other location to put it correct?

If I just put a filter under the kitchen sink how would I go about that? All copper pipe no flexible line and 2 seperate valves exist under the sink on the cold line as described above in my first post. So do i need two seperate filters.... one behind fridge for ice and other under sink since the pipe splits before i get to either shut-off valve?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why do you want to filter the water ?
Is there a specific problem to fix ?
Taste, smell, sediment...other ?

I put a whole house filter on to reduce sediment

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote