Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Install new faucet with compression fittings to larger copper supply lines

Google'd a lot and am surprised to find few hits on the problem I am having.

My house is only 11 years old and I am replacing the kitchen sink and faucet. After I yanked everything I realize I have an issue.

The supply lines are copper tubing with handle-style yellow shut off valves, similar to the one (but smaller) that is on the main water line into the house. It only turns 90 degrees, up for on, down for off. Its not the little screw knob style that you see on a toilet for example. In addition, the copper appears to be all soldered, with nothing removable either above or below the shut off valve. The tops of the copper supply lines have little unthreaded "nubs" and a free sliding nut that was tightened onto the threads of the old faucet copper lines. Lastly, the copper tubes above the shut off valve, which is damn near the bottom of the sink cabinet, are actually 2 sizes. I think its 1/2" coming up from the shut off and then I think 3/8" are soldered on that which has the "nubs" at the end. No idea why it was done this way, likely to fit the faucet they pt in.

The new faucet Delta Touch20 style however has 1/4" flexible compression style lines, which rely on obviously a mated set of compression style fittings on the supply lines.

The only thing the guy at Lowes could recommend was buying 2 new shut off valves to ADD to the supply lines, the knob turn-style type. The shut off would be put onto the 3/8" copper and has a compression style thread 1/4" in size on top, allowed me to screw the new faucet supply lines on. I would have to cut the copper supply lines both because of the "nub" and because they are simply too long. I don't mind having an extra pair of shut off valves, but is this the only solution to the problem? I have a hard time believing I am one of the few people who has ever run into this.

cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

Please post some pictures. Also, can you get to the pipes from below the cabinet (basement/crawlspace)?

djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,462

If the copper lines below your valves(ball valves) are 5/8 OD do this-
Turn off the water main, bleed pressure and excess water down. Cut the pipes below the valves, clean the pipe good and install 5/8x3/8 compression straight stops. Now you can hook your faucet lines direct to the new valves.
If I interpreted you correctly that should do it.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

They sold me the compression straight stop with the intent of putting them on the vertical copper tubes.

Here is the pic I forgot to upload first.
Attached Thumbnails
Install new faucet with compression fittings to larger copper supply lines-cwbwater.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Instead of new stops, you could use 5/8 comp x 3/8 comp. couplings
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

How does the 5/8" compression seal onto the copper supply line? Would a sharkbite be better?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
How does the 5/8" compression seal onto the copper supply line? Would a sharkbite be better?
sharkbite will work-just don't know if they make what you need.
This link is your fitting- image is how it attaches to your pipe above your valves. Put them high enough so your hose reach.
I'm assuming the hoses have 3/8" nuts
http://nbc.manufacturer.globalsource...on-Fitting.htm
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

I'd like to say this: Being in the HandyMan business I have often been asked to replace a kitchen faucet with just this problem. First--I highly recommend to anyone that they NOT listen to these so called "experts" that work at the big box stores as most of them have never even seen these situations. Their job is to SELL and this is exactly what this person was doing, selling you something he felt you needed but had no idea of what you needed. "TheEplumber" has the correct solution with the least amount of parts needing to be bought and the least amount of work to be done and have the problem solved. You did the right thing to post on this forum and you have the correct answer.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote