Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Injected too much foam sealer to repair tub, how to remove foam?

A few months back I was trying to repair my cracked fiberglass tub without having to install a new one. It was severely cracked and needed significant repair. I had paid a professional company $200 about 19 months ago to repair it and it held up for about a year (they just injected foam and sealed it with bondo and put an adhesive mat over it).

Well I tried to repair it myself a few months ago, and I injected too much foam. The good news is it stopped water from leaking under the tub. The bad news is it made the tub all bumpy and uneven since the foam expands once it dries (it's called Great Stuff, sold at most hardware stores).

The tub is leaking again, and I want to try to repair it one more time before installing a new tub. But I want it to cosmetically look nice. Is there any way I can break down (like chemically break down, or something else) the foam that I injected under the tub? If I can break it down, then I can get the tub to have a flatter surface, then I can try to do a really good repair job before buying and installing a new tub.

So any way to inject something under the tub to break down "Great Stuff" without damaging the support structures under the tub?

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The only way I know of is to physically dig it out, but it sounds to me like it is time to replace the tub.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Yeah, I kind of agree Just Bill. I was hoping that there was something I could do, but I have a feeling I will just have to replace the tub. I don't think it's worth it to dig out the foam. I may just seal it up a bit more so it won't leak, and then I'll replace it next spring or summer
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,004

Just manually cutting it out with serrated blade knife.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodoko View Post
A few months back I was trying to repair my cracked fiberglass tub without having to install a new one. It was severely cracked and needed significant repair. I had paid a professional company $200 about 19 months ago to repair it and it held up for about a year (they just injected foam and sealed it with bondo and put an adhesive mat over it).

Well I tried to repair it myself a few months ago, and I injected too much foam. The good news is it stopped water from leaking under the tub. The bad news is it made the tub all bumpy and uneven since the foam expands once it dries (it's called Great Stuff, sold at most hardware stores).

The tub is leaking again, and I want to try to repair it one more time before installing a new tub. But I want it to cosmetically look nice. Is there any way I can break down (like chemically break down, or something else) the foam that I injected under the tub? If I can break it down, then I can get the tub to have a flatter surface, then I can try to do a really good repair job before buying and installing a new tub.

So any way to inject something under the tub to break down "Great Stuff" without damaging the support structures under the tub?
I had that stuff stuck on my hands the first time I used it and wasn't smart enough to use gloves.

I tried Goof Off and it kind of smoothed it out.

The only way to get it off your hands really is to peel it off or wait for your skin to shed.

It's nasty stuff.

You can also use a razor blade to cut off big chunks.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote