Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Share |
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin View Post
If the pipping is blocked from crud, corrosion, lime, rust, etc.. whatever, then why are all other pipes in the house not blocked?
They could be, they may be larger diameter and have not reached blockage levels that would create restrictive flow as of yet.

Who knows without the OP coming back and letting us know the whole story we are only speculating.

Mark

__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,889
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin View Post
You dont seem to be reading anything here because I already addressed shower heads and aerators. Also, with shower heads and aerators that conserve water ... the flow on them is reduced resulting in an increase in pressure. He does not have an increase in pressure though he actually has a decrease. So that's not the problem. As for a clog, it's very unlikely that is the problem either since water pressure is fine throughout the rest of the house.
No I said the clog could be at the fixtures themselves,which is very possible
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,889
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin View Post
If the pipping is blocked from crud, corrosion, lime, rust, etc.. whatever, then why are all other pipes in the house not blocked?
Sometimes certain fixtures get used more than others allowing crud to settle in certain areas,sometimes its just a matter of how the plumbing is layed out in the house
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
They could be, they may be larger diameter and have not reached blockage levels that would create restrictive flow as of yet.

Who knows without the OP coming back and letting us know the whole story we are only speculating.

Mark
Even if its blockage it would be, according to you, because the supply line is a smaller diameter pipe than all the other pipes in the house. You did state thats why all the other pipes are not clogged and the bathroom supply is. So he would still need to upgrade the supply line anyways. At least, if he wants to prevent this from occurring again. Your scenario is a stretch though as its based on an assumption and not anything factual.

Last edited by jasin; 02-21-2012 at 08:19 AM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin View Post
Even if its blockage it would be, according to you, because the supply line is a smaller diameter pipe than all the other pipes in the house. You did state thats why all the other pipes are not clogged and the bathroom supply is. So he would still need to upgrade the supply line anyways. At least, if he wants to prevent this from occurring again. Your scenario is a stretch though as its based on an assumption and not anything factual.
There is a double edge sword to increasing line size, yes the bore is bigger possibly prolonging a blockage, the caveat to this kind of change is you will reduce fluid velocity, which will actually increase the speed at which sediment will fall out of the fluid.

If sediment is the problem the larger lines would remain clear for longer not because they are larger, but because of increased demand (more points of use) thus increasing velocity through the pipe.

Again really only theorizing as we don't have the whole story, but as you can imagine increasing line size can and usually does hinder a sediment problem not fix it.

Mark
__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
There is a double edge sword to increasing line size, yes the bore is bigger possibly prolonging a blockage, the caveat to this kind of change is you will reduce fluid velocity, which will actually increase the speed at which sediment will fall out of the fluid.

If sediment is the problem the larger lines would remain clear for longer not because they are larger, but because of increased demand (more points of use) thus increasing velocity through the pipe.

Again really only theorizing as we don't have the whole story, but as you can imagine increasing line size can and usually does hinder a sediment problem not fix it.

Mark
Have you done an inspection on his plumbing?
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin View Post
Have you done an inspection on his plumbing?
Of course not, why would you even ask such a question. I am making a general statement to enlighten those who would possibly read this.

Mark
__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,088
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


sometime the less you say and the more they say can make you look more intelligent
__________________
"be careful at listening to just one persons advise" said me
"be careful at listening to just one persons advise" said myself
p.s. not all i say is a fact but not all i say is my opinion.
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 394
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


There are a whole lot of houses out there that haven't had ALL pipes replaced. My house and my folks house both have all copper in the basement and first floor, then it's galvanized to the second floor bathroom...wasn't financially possible to replace at the time. In both cases the pressure is great everywhere except the second floor bathroom because the galvanized is all corroded internally.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marqed97 For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Increasing Water Pressure


I never once stated its not a clog. Sure, it could be a clog. I did not ignore that possibility. I just simply stated based on the facts that its very unlikely that this is a clog. Its unlikely for the facts: the low pressure is isolated to one room, there are no restrictions in flow where the low pressure is, no clogs exist anywhere in the house, pressure and flow throughout the rest of the house is fine.

jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot water pressure problem (unusual situation) tanna Plumbing 2 09-03-2011 08:17 AM
System for increasing home water pressure? Daulton Plumbing 5 03-20-2011 10:35 PM
bad valve washing machine?? drdon51 Plumbing 6 06-29-2009 01:02 PM
No water pressure in my pressure tank GordH Plumbing 6 05-18-2008 11:19 AM
New Help With Improving Water Pressure hayhursm Plumbing 1 01-31-2006 06:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.