DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Increasing Water Pressure (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/increasing-water-pressure-134257/)

Steve N 02-19-2012 01:03 PM

Increasing Water Pressure
 
We have pretty good water pressure through out the house except for one bathroom. The water Pressure coming out of the two faucets and shower fixtures is minimal. How do I increase this?

jaydevries 02-19-2012 01:23 PM

find the blockage what type of piping ,what size of pipe, what type of stops and is there shutoff valves and what type also is it on a well or city

DannyT 02-19-2012 01:34 PM

did you clean the aerator in the end of the faucet? did you check to see that the shutoffs under the sink are all the way open? did you remove the shower head and check for a restrictor inside it that may be clogged?

jasin 02-19-2012 03:08 PM

If the pipes are downsized going to the bathroom, like say .. a reducer is used, there will be a decrease in pressure. Especially if this is an upstairs bathroom.

Also, if any aerators or shower heads are clogged then there will be a decrease in pressure. That is unlikely though since water pressure is fine elsewhere, but it is a possibility.

Your aerators and shower heads could be the low flow kind too and you could be mistaking the low flow as low pressure. I would definitely have the pressure (psi) tested.

A valve could be slightly closed as well. Do check all the valves in the bathroom and at the main and make sure they are turned on all the way.

As for fixes. I would replace all the aerators and shower heads with the high pressure kind and see if that helps. If none of that that works then you will have to look at pipe size.

If there are any reducers at any point where the plumbing goes to the bathroom then do remove them and run a larger pipe. If the pipe is just undersized then run larger pipes to the bathroom.

joecaption 02-19-2012 04:08 PM

Sounds like under sized suppy lines.
If there is low flow then the pressure drops once the valve is opened.

jaydevries 02-19-2012 04:39 PM

jasin and dannyt are correct on first thing to check

Plumber101 02-19-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasin (Post 857571)
Shower heads do not have aerators and the pressure is low at the shower too. Thus, the reason I ruled out the aerators as being the problem.

Some shower heads have screens/flow restrictor that can be blocked

Jackofall1 02-19-2012 05:28 PM

I have a shower head which has an inline screen before the flow restricter which I would have to clean a couple of times a year.

When was the last time the OP drained his HW tank, could be calcium be floating around in the system plugging up the shower head and screens.

I really doubt piping size would be the issue as a 1/2" pipe 30 ft long with an inlet pressure of 75 PSI going to the second floor (15ft vertical) would be capable carrying 5 GPM with a pressure drop of only 14 PSI.

Say outlet pressure of 60 PSI at the inlet of the valve assembly at full flow rate. Most of todays shower heads are designed around (from memory) 2 GPM.

Mark

DannyT 02-19-2012 05:56 PM

i never said that showerheads had aerators. i said did you remove the shower head and check for a restrictor inside it that may be clogged?

plummen 02-20-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasin (Post 857571)
Shower heads do not have aerators and the pressure is low at the shower too. Thus, the reason I ruled out the aerators as being the problem.

Shower heads sometimes have water savers/restrictors in them.
Shower heads also get plugged with minerals and junk just like an aerator depending on water quality :)

Gary in WA 02-21-2012 12:31 AM

Posts have been removed, please remember to treat others with respect as per forum rules, thank you, Gary.

Carry on...

jasin 02-21-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plummen (Post 858654)
Shower heads sometimes have water savers/restrictors in them.
Shower heads also get plugged with minerals and junk just like an aerator depending on water quality :)

You dont seem to be reading anything here because I already addressed shower heads and aerators. Also, with shower heads and aerators that conserve water ... the flow on them is reduced resulting in an increase in pressure. He does not have an increase in pressure though he actually has a decrease. So that's not the problem. As for a clog, it's very unlikely that is the problem either since water pressure is fine throughout the rest of the house.

jasin 02-21-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyT (Post 857632)
i never said that showerheads had aerators. i said did you remove the shower head and check for a restrictor inside it that may be clogged?

Please go back and reread my post because I never said you said they are. As for a clog, its very unlikely that is the problem since water pressure is fine throughout the rest of the house.

Jackofall1 02-21-2012 06:37 AM

I guess the pertinent question here is,

Is this an existing problem or a new problem?

If it is a new problem then one could assume that there is an issue with the point of use aerators and restrictors, which could be a result of mineral build up possibly from the hot water tank.

If this is an existing problem, never had good pressure, then there could be an isolation valve on the main leading to this bath room (such as required in a (2) story structure) which is inpeding flow,

or if galvanized piping, could be a blockage again from mineral deposits,

or piping which not large enough for the desired flow.

I guess we will just have to wait until the OP returns and provides more information.

Mark

jasin 02-21-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackofall1 (Post 859017)
I guess the pertinent question here is,

Is this an existing problem or a new problem?

If it is a new problem then one could assume that there is an issue with the point of use aerators and restrictors, which could be a result of mineral build up possibly from the hot water tank.

If this is an existing problem, never had good pressure, then there could be an isolation valve on the main leading to this bath room (such as required in a (2) story structure) which is inpeding flow,

or if galvanized piping, could be a blockage again from mineral deposits,

or piping which not large enough for the desired flow.

I guess we will just have to wait until the OP returns and provides more information.

Mark

If the pipping is blocked from crud, corrosion, lime, rust, etc.. whatever, then why are all other pipes in the house not blocked?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved