Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Increasing the Cleanout Size - ABS to Cast Iron

The cast iron toilet drain in this 1902 house has a side clean-out that is currently 1-1/2" ABS connected to that size cast iron and leaded into a 3" side-bell in the vertical drain. I have had a couple drain clogs and the rooter guy had to remove the toilet to auger because the 1-1/2" cleanout is too small.

So, I want to replace the 1-1/2" cleanout with a 3" ABS one that exits the crawl space and will make augering in the future easier without removing the toilet.

I invision that I need to remove the existing leaded joint and replace with one of the gasket connectors I have seen in other posts. Then use the 3" ABS from there.

Q's-

Am I on the right track in my description above to replace the existing cleanout with the larger one?

Any tricks to getting the lead out without busting the works? Will I have to heat it with a propane torch to get to the wadding?

Thanks,

Marty

hmartinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,228

Can you post a picture? Like to see the fittings and pipe layout.
Installing a cleanout is a great idea but can be tricky in cast iron

Old 05-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

ok..will have to suit up and do the low crawl. Give me a day... I will hold a tape up to the joint for scale in the pics. thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,020

Easyer and a better fix to remove all the cast you can get your hands one.
At some point it's going to rust out and leak and by now it's so rough on the inside it can be a cause for drain plug ups.
It's easy to find cast to PVC or ABS hubless connectors once the pipe has been cut off.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 578

I would worry about the repeated clogs, and someone running a large cutter through an older cast iron line is looking for trouble, you may what to consider running a camera in the system and look for the reason(s) for the clogs, a drain system under normal conditions should never clog unless 1 personal misuse or 2 problems in the plumbing systems. Kitchen and laundry lines are a different story. A bigger clean out is definitely better but not completely necessary. Some companies encourage their technicians to pull toilets, more revenue. Never use Roto Rooter reasons why? Just search the web for the stories. Stay with a local Plumbing Outfit.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
I would worry about the repeated clogs, and someone running a large cutter through an older cast iron line is looking for trouble, you may what to consider running a camera in the system and look for the reason(s) for the clogs, a drain system under normal conditions should never clog unless 1 personal misuse or 2 problems in the plumbing systems. Kitchen and laundry lines are a different story. A bigger clean out is definitely better but not completely necessary. Some companies encourage their technicians to pull toilets, more revenue. Never use Roto Rooter reasons why? Just search the web for the stories. Stay with a local Plumbing Outfit.

I have considered a camera, but of course didn't want to shell out the hundreds, but then can have hundreds in other costs, I realize, if not resolved permanently.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartinp View Post
I have considered a camera, but of course didn't want to shell out the hundreds, but then can have hundreds in other costs, I realize, if not resolved permanently.
If your blockage is outside, consider an exterior cleanout. I didn't notice that you have a crawler so your line is probably shallow. Dig it up and cut in a wye, riser it up to grade and your done. No need to drag a cable machine into the house anymore
Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
If your blockage is outside, consider an exterior cleanout. I didn't notice that you have a crawler so your line is probably shallow. Dig it up and cut in a wye, riser it up to grade and your done. No need to drag a cable machine into the house anymore
The drain is about 6' from the foundation and turns 90 deg to get to the main. Would have to bust up some concrete sidewalk to do it, but QuickCrete is cheap, by comparison. I would have to hope the plug was downstream from that, unless there is an ABS fitting allowing me to auger up hill as well as toward the main???? Maybe that is a better idea than dinking with the cast(??)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

They do make a 2-way clean out. Or you can make your own using 2 opposing wyes- 1 pointed upstream, 1 downstream