DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Increased water pressure

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, the kitchen faucet started humming when the cold water is turned on. A week or so ago, the flange in one of the toilets popped up and when pushed back down, continues to pop up. A week ago, the water pressure at the kitchen sink increased tremendously. A day or so ago, the flange in another toilet popped up do forcefully that it pushed the toilet tank lid up. Someone from the city water department tested the pressure into the house and it was at 57 or 58 psgi. The city is working on a water main about three miles from our house and we are the last house on the run south of town. Can this be related? The city worker seems to think not. If not, does anyone know what the problem might be?

#2 ·
Has the city changed your water meter recently? Around here, the new ones have anti return valves built in. The old ones didn't. After our meter was changed, we had experiences like yours. Not quite as dramatic, tho. Checked with a gauge, pressure was 50-60 psi. However, if I left the gauge on the bib overnight, I'd see 100+ on the tell tale. It seems the water in the water heater would heat and expand, with nowhere to go. I installed a Thermal Expansion Tank. Solved the problem.

#3 ·
Exactly, you did the right thing. This is especially bad if you have a gas water heater with a sticky thermostat that can can cause the water heater to have a long cycle time. If no water is run out from the system during an extended run you can easily get over 100 psi. So if this is a new problem for the OP he should check to see how long the water heater runs after the burner (or electric element) kicks on. And definitely install an expansion tank.

However, if I left the gauge on the bib overnight, I'd see 100+ on the tell tale. It seems the water in the water heater would heat and expand, with nowhere to go. I installed a Thermal Expansion Tank. Solved the problem.

#4 ·
yes if you have check valve or backflow preventer or even a pressure regulator....you have a closed plumbing system....when water heater fires to heat water thermal expansion takes place with no where for the expanded water to go things happen....not sure why tpr valve on water heater did not open releasing high pressure......you may need and expanison tank.... and yet something else may be going on ?

#5 ·
57 PSI is not much. We have 100 PSI + downtown. We have one customer who told me he has seen 300 PSI at his end of line, bottom of the hill, property. He has had 4 inch plastic pipe joints come loose. HIs solution, install a $1700.00 pressure regulator valve. That keeps his pressure to < than 75 PSI.

Ben's Plumbing, do you suppose he needs to install/replace the tp valve?

#7 ·
knock on some doors between your home,and the work done see if a neighbor tells of pressure problems then :wink: it's the water company. the pressure came from someplace if it was the HWH the relief would of blown at 30PSI or just above it...they might of did a repair and checked the work with nitrogen isolating the fix and then released the test nirto into the system...when the valves were reopened.the pressure for your water comes from the pumping station...everytime you use hot water within the house that so called pressure increase is blown off as the cold water refills the tank....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.