Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Illegal plumbing by home contractor?

Had bathroom redone but the plumbing work done appears to be poor. I will include pictures of the work done. The adapter that ties into the drain line looks to be bigger than normal and there is an additional valve that says Central on it which may be an old Central Brass diverter cap.

btdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,150

No pictures were posted.
And what did all the other posters say on all the other websites you've posted pictures on say about it?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Let me guess---no permit or inspection?
Post those pictures----------
Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdragon View Post
Had bathroom redone but the plumbing work done appears to be poor. I will include pictures of the work done. The adapter that ties into the drain line looks to be bigger than normal and there is an additional valve that says Central on it which may be an old Central Brass diverter cap.
Is it possible to edit topic without reposting?

The hot and cold water and drain work fine but the plumbing under the drain looks like an elongated piece screwed into a brass ring with lots of ring room left on it sticking out of the wall rather than being flush into the wall itself.

Before the sink was flushmounted to the wall directly for the drain and was a small copper piece. There is a trap in there but is the non flush mounted part which looks a little more square than usual at the end and protruding from the wall with a lot of that screw in connector piece (that look like metal lines so you can screw on pipe) exposed up to code?

Also there is a piece which looks to be a central brass diverter cap without screw underneath the sink and under the left stop valve for the faucet in the bathroom sink. I tried turning the valve to the right and it seems to be connected to both the faucet AND the tub line. If I run the tub with it on, it slows it down to a drip. If I turn the faucet on when I do it, it increases the flow through the tub drain.

Also there is a pex piping coming out from the wall with a stop valve on it with no seal on it or anything.

Have I been a victim of illegal plumbing?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

If you let someone into your home and you don't avail yourself of local municipal permitting and inspection services you do run the risk of this kind of nonsense happening. The permits do seem like wasted money, and some can make strong arguments to support this. But unless you really know enough about all the materials and methods necessary to meet code requirements it's usually a bad idea to skip getting permits and inspections.

Then there's written contracts. They're often never used or poorly written. Eventually it all ends up in court. Meanwhile the homeowner's stuck with a half-assed job and out of pocket a fair bit of money.

Post pictures of the situation. With any luck it'll be reasonably correctable and you'll avoid drawing it out in court.

You also throw around the word "illegal". Code regulations aren't the same as criminal law. They're guidelines. Some localities do have laws that address building issues. But failing to follow code is not a 'crime' per-se. It doesn't usually help a tense situation to toss around the wrong terms.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-06-2013 at 06:43 AM.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-07-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #6

The contractor was the one recommended for the building and was a LICENSED Home Improvement contractor.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

He may have been licensed, but did you get a permit pulled for the job?

POST PICTURES of the work.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

The co-op board approved him and let him do the work. Licensed is verified. What is his legal obligations as a home contractor?

I live in a highrise co-op in NYC. What is his legal requirements as a home improvement contractor in regards to plumbing and to me as a consumer?

I will post pictures in the next message. Also he refused to put on the piece for the tub and shower central piece which has the cartridge in it, instead opting for one with a regular non flow control design.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Permits pulled for the job? He is a licensed home contractor, is he required to do such by law? I have no idea about the permitting process. I just agreed to a price and had him do the work which he did and saw he was Licensed as a home contractor and had good references. But now I notice that I do NOT like the way he did the plumbing work. Now me not liking it vs acceptable code is different and so I am wondering what his legal obligations were?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #10

I will show you pics of the work in the next message.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

You may not know enough about plumbing to judge this work.

In this area only licensed plumbers are allowed to work on multi family dwellings.

What is the situation in NY? My guess is that the work is not up to standard--

Just remember this----if you do call the building department--you will have to bring the work up to standard---they don't care who's fault the nonconforming work is.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,296

Quote:
The contractor was the one recommended for the building and was a LICENSED Home Improvement contractor.
It's a common misconception that recommended and licensed contractor will do good or even "legal" work. First, you asked him to do plumbing, so a "home improvement" license doesn't help with plumbing per se. You'd need a licensed plumber. Second, even a licensed plumber can screw up, either intentionally or incompetently. I'm licensed as a home improvement contractor, but not as a plumber or electrician. Yet I know more about plumbing and plumbing codes than some licensed plumbers, and I know more about electrical and electrical codes than some licensed electricians. And I do better work than some of them too, even when they do know the codes. It would scare you to know what some of these guys are doing.

And we haven't even gotten to the "plumbers" and "electricians" you can find on craigslist that aren't licensed. Talk about scary.

Of course the opposite it true as well. A truly competent and ethical plumber or electrician should be able to do a lot more than I can.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
I will show you pics of the work in the next message.
In answer to your earlier question, yes you can edit your own post to add to it or change it. Also, you don't have to keep posting new messages telling us the pictures are coming, we understand they are coming.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #14

Isn't that the liability of the co-op board in this case since the board approved his plumbing in the walls? The contractor was recommended for the building and was licensed and did numerous apartments in here.

So the permitting requirement has to be in the contract specifically and the contractor would charge additional money for this, correct?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #15

I don't see how the "liability" for plumbing problems falls on some board, when it's the plumber who did the work. It looks like you're searching for someone to blame, when if the plumber did bad work, he's to blame.

You keep repeating some of the same things, which makes me question if you are listening carefully. Is the man a licensed plumber? You can find this out. Getting a permit costs money, yes. It doesn't much matter if you pay the money to the plumber or the government, although technically the plumber could charge you extra for doing the actual work of filing the permit. The permit itself costs money either way.