Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #1

Share |

Ice maker feed line

Hi, Im getting ready to get a new Refrig with a water/ice dispenser and will need to run a line from a cold water pipe.

I see they sell kits with flexible copper tubing, and a clamp on saddle vavle. Ive heard a few people say to stay away from these and I would be better off soldering in a Tee and approprite reducing conectors.

Is it really worth splicing in a Tee instead of just using the saddle vavle?

Any known isues with the saddle vavles as too why some frown on using these?

Thanks in Advance...
stagger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Ice maker feed line

Saddle valves are against code, can you run a line from under the kitchen sink by adding a duel shutoff vavle?
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #3

Ice maker feed line

no unfortunatly the sink is on a different wall and running the line behind all the cabinets would be next to impossible.

Directly underneath where my frig is, I have a cold water main line, so I think the most direct route would be to just drill a hole thru the floor and run the copper thru the floor.

Should I solder in a tee, and use a ball valve, and then a reducer to 1/4 compression?

Will the copper connect to a compression without flaring the end?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

Ice maker feed line

You can use a compression tee and add a shutoff valve to 1/4"
Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #5

Ice maker feed line

Yeah I dont know what I was thinking.

I see Home depot has a 1/2 Sweat to a 1/4 Compression shut off vavle. So I can solder in a tee, come out with a little piece of copper, sweat the shutoff on, and the 1/4" line will connect to the compression side of the shut off right?

Last edited by stagger19; 11-21-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Ice maker feed line

Right, or use a 1/4" compression shut off valve off the tee side.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #7

Ice maker feed line

got it, ok thanks a lot for the help.

I guess my brain was trying to make it more difficult than it actually is LOL!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 AM   #8

Ice maker feed line

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger19 View Post
Hi, Im getting ready to get a new Refrig with a water/ice dispenser and will need to run a line from a cold water pipe.

I see they sell kits with flexible copper tubing, and a clamp on saddle vavle. Ive heard a few people say to stay away from these and I would be better off soldering in a Tee and approprite reducing conectors.

Is it really worth splicing in a Tee instead of just using the saddle vavle?

Any known isues with the saddle vavles as too why some frown on using these?

Thanks in Advance...
if you want a job done "right", solder in a tee w/ valve and run a line to your fridge.....if you want a job done easy, fast and a few bucks cheaper use the sadle valve. its your house, unless you want to impress a plumber friend of yours , go w/ the the sadle valve, i have never had a problem w/ them, and use them all the time
Dr. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #9

Ice maker feed line

The money you save on a saddle valve will be spent in time when it clogs up. Saddle valves are also called "needle valves" because you puncture the line with a very small piece of metal. They also are prone to leaks. You may also "starve" your frig since the hole in the line is so small. I realize that lots of people use them because I have replaced a bunch of them.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #10

Ice maker feed line

If you read this before you buy a new one, it will be worth the trouble to find out what type of materials the manufacturer uses to transport and hold the water before it goes to the dispenser.
I have an 8 to 10 year Amana refrigerator that has to be using internal lines and a holding tank made of inferior materials as the water comes out tasting lousey. I tried sanitizing with bleach and that did not help. I even put in a copper feed line to no avail. If you ever tasted water coming out of a garden hose; then it is simular, only stronger. Holding tanks made of acrylic or stainless steel would be acceptable. The internal lines, I am not sure what to recommend but I think clear vinyl may be a better choice. Check the companys website for FAQ on poor tasting water. Don't let them sell you a filter if your tap water is acceptable. Some new models that I have looked at have a filter inside the refrigerator, so the question is: Is the water filtered before it goes into the holding tank or after? I would prefer it to be filtered after the holding tank before it goes to the dispenser or to the icecube maker. That may help some.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote