Ice Clogged Vent Pipes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ice clogged vent pipes

My kitchen sink hasn't been draining and after days of plunging, snaking, and drain cleaners I narrowed the problem down to the vent system. I found that my roof vents all have ice in them and used a 20' snake to break through some ice but it's not long enough for some. Whats the best way to clear them? Pour hot water down them? Diluted antifreeze? Thanks

Advertisement

teh3515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Ice clogged vent pipes

How about some hot salty water.

A plugged vent can slow and inhibit draining, but it is rare for it to stop draining.

How bad is the draining?

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ice clogged vent pipes

Drained very very slow but when I broke up some of the ice it gurgled and started draining a little faster
teh3515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 626

Ice clogged vent pipes

Well, you are probably right. But melting out the pipe will prove all.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ice clogged vent pipes

cant imagine anti freeze is good for septic and treated water already has enough drugs ect.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Ice clogged vent pipes

WHAM! Just had a call late last week similar to this, but we don't have the low temps to cause icing of the vent pipes. Then complaint was a very slow draining sink. The sink would drain just fine in the morning, but would stop draining in the afternoon after the residents all came in from school and work and started preparing dinner. The had called out a plumber and he had "snaked" the kitchen drain under the sink, and told them it was "now clear". That was until about three days later. Luckily getting under this house was fairly easy, I found that there was a 1 1/2" drain coming out of the bottom of the house for the kitchen sinks, and this tied into a 2" combination with a "clean-out" plug . When I removed the clean-out plug and looked into the 2" pipe there was maybe, just maybe, a 1/2" hole in the pipe. The material in the pipe was a whitish colored material and after pulling some out it felt like, well: soap! Probably years of dishwasher soap build-up, and not the first time I have seen this. I have an attachment for my pressure washer which has a jet pointing straight forward, and six jets pointing back at about 45 degrees. This attachment will wash out a pipe. The 2" pipe had a run of about 20 ft. to the main line, so as I washed it out, I asked the homeowner to flush one of the toilets to facilitate washing out the main line to the septic system. I'm sure the septic system was overdosed with this soap scum but-where else to put it? After washing out the line, the sinks drain just fine, and I checked with them today to assure everything was well. Moral of this story: this may be your problem if you have a dishwasher which drains into the same piping the sinks do. The vents being iced over doesn't help I'm sure. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Ice clogged vent pipes

what size is vent coming through roof? normally around these parts we increase the vent to 4" about 18" below roof line to keep them from freezing.

Advertisement

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote