Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 980
Blog Entries: 19
Share |
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


Hello!

As I had posted in my Project Showcase I have found a major plumbing error I will need to fix. In two locations there are sanitary tees in the horizontal Pic 1 & Pic 3 and location Pic 2. What I don't know is the connection in Pic 4 correct or even salvageable?

I am moving the toilet in the hall bath 13" to the left. The new toilet that will use area where Pic 1 & 3 is located will be to the left side of the duct. I can put a 4x4x3 Wye here with a 45 degree street to fix?

The old hall bath tub (not vented) connected at Pic 4. Can I use any off this? Shorten vertical section and switch to a two 45 degree fittings? I worried that may not give me enough slope?

Pic 2 I am planning to switch to another 4x4x3 Wye, with a 45 degree street. Goal is to replace this run with 3" to possibly put a toilet for master bath to the left of master vanity, but...
Attached Thumbnails
I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-1.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-2.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-3.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-4.jpg  

__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 980
Blog Entries: 19
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


...the current vanity drain already being too low was drilled through the top of an IP joist. Pic 5.

The original plan was to install pedestal sink which would require moving the sink 3.5" to the right. With the issue created with top flange can I even move the drain?

I am going to either repair the top flange myself or get help doing it. I would be connecting this sink drain with a 3x3x2 Wye, that will lead to repair Pic 2.
Attached Thumbnails
I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-5.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-img_2915.jpg  

__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,879
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


Although technically a code violation, I'd hardly call what you have a "major plumbing error." I had a similar situation in a house I once owned. It had been that way for more than 50 years.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 980
Blog Entries: 19
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Although technically a code violation, I'd hardly call what you have a "major plumbing error." I had a similar situation in a house I once owned. It had been that way for more than 50 years.
Completely cutting the top flange of an engineered joist is not major error? This was done by previous owner and not a plumber...
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,706
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
...the current vanity drain already being too low was drilled through the top of an IP joist. Pic 5.

The original plan was to install pedestal sink which would require moving the sink 3.5" to the right. With the issue created with top flange can I even move the drain?

I am going to either repair the top flange myself or get help doing it. I would be connecting this sink drain with a 3x3x2 Wye, that will lead to repair Pic 2.
Offset the vertical drain above the floor or use a tee and 90 to make a trap arm at the elevation you want. No need to drill a new hole in the joist
You mentioned putting 2 45's in place of a 90 at the tub. Why? Long sweeps are not needed in this application

Last edited by TheEplumber; 12-23-2010 at 06:55 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ChrisDIY (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 980
Blog Entries: 19
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Offset the vertical drain above the floor or use a tee and 90 to make a trap arm at the elevation you want. No need to drill a new hole in the joist
You mentioned putting 2 45's in place of a 90 at the tub. Why? Long sweeps are not needed in this application
I thought what is in place is a vent 90, and I misunderstood vertical use of 90. You're absolutely right, in this case its down so its OK! THANKS!

floor up to sanitary tee to 90 degree, to rough-in for P-trap, Yes sir! THANKS!
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,706
Default

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed


Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
I thought what is in place is a vent 90, and I misunderstood vertical use of 90. You're absolutely right, in this case its down so its OK! THANKS!

floor up to sanitary tee to 90 degree, to rough-in for P-trap, Yes sir! THANKS!
You are right. That is a vent 90. I didn't catch that! Replace it with a medium sweep 90. It will have the same sweep as a 2" san tee if your not sure of the radius.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Combustable air, how much is needed? Lee Roy HVAC 9 10-27-2010 10:17 PM
8 wire to 4 wire thermostat help needed dj petey Electrical 5 01-19-2008 09:11 AM
Replacing HVAC Thermostats handy man88 Electrical 4 11-19-2007 01:43 PM
Replacing Disc Brakes On 91 Toyota Corolla bobo Automotive Repairs 4 07-03-2007 06:31 AM
Replacing Inducer Blower allenzachary HVAC 8 12-28-2006 12:42 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.