Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Still going...

Share |

I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed

Hello!

As I had posted in my Project Showcase I have found a major plumbing error I will need to fix. In two locations there are sanitary tees in the horizontal Pic 1 & Pic 3 and location Pic 2. What I don't know is the connection in Pic 4 correct or even salvageable?

I am moving the toilet in the hall bath 13" to the left. The new toilet that will use area where Pic 1 & 3 is located will be to the left side of the duct. I can put a 4x4x3 Wye here with a 45 degree street to fix?

The old hall bath tub (not vented) connected at Pic 4. Can I use any off this? Shorten vertical section and switch to a two 45 degree fittings? I worried that may not give me enough slope?

Pic 2 I am planning to switch to another 4x4x3 Wye, with a 45 degree street. Goal is to replace this run with 3" to possibly put a toilet for master bath to the left of master vanity, but...
Attached Thumbnails
I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-1.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-2.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-3.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-4.jpg  

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Still going...

...the current vanity drain already being too low was drilled through the top of an IP joist. Pic 5.

The original plan was to install pedestal sink which would require moving the sink 3.5" to the right. With the issue created with top flange can I even move the drain?

I am going to either repair the top flange myself or get help doing it. I would be connecting this sink drain with a 3x3x2 Wye, that will lead to repair Pic 2.
Attached Thumbnails
I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-pic-5.jpg   I will not say "UNCLE," yet...replacing tees, help needed-img_2915.jpg  

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Although technically a code violation, I'd hardly call what you have a "major plumbing error." I had a similar situation in a house I once owned. It had been that way for more than 50 years.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Although technically a code violation, I'd hardly call what you have a "major plumbing error." I had a similar situation in a house I once owned. It had been that way for more than 50 years.
Completely cutting the top flange of an engineered joist is not major error? This was done by previous owner and not a plumber...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
...the current vanity drain already being too low was drilled through the top of an IP joist. Pic 5.

The original plan was to install pedestal sink which would require moving the sink 3.5" to the right. With the issue created with top flange can I even move the drain?

I am going to either repair the top flange myself or get help doing it. I would be connecting this sink drain with a 3x3x2 Wye, that will lead to repair Pic 2.
Offset the vertical drain above the floor or use a tee and 90 to make a trap arm at the elevation you want. No need to drill a new hole in the joist
You mentioned putting 2 45's in place of a 90 at the tub. Why? Long sweeps are not needed in this application

Last edited by TheEplumber; 12-23-2010 at 06:55 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ChrisDIY (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Offset the vertical drain above the floor or use a tee and 90 to make a trap arm at the elevation you want. No need to drill a new hole in the joist
You mentioned putting 2 45's in place of a 90 at the tub. Why? Long sweeps are not needed in this application
I thought what is in place is a vent 90, and I misunderstood vertical use of 90. You're absolutely right, in this case its down so its OK! THANKS!

floor up to sanitary tee to 90 degree, to rough-in for P-trap, Yes sir! THANKS!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
I thought what is in place is a vent 90, and I misunderstood vertical use of 90. You're absolutely right, in this case its down so its OK! THANKS!

floor up to sanitary tee to 90 degree, to rough-in for P-trap, Yes sir! THANKS!
You are right. That is a vent 90. I didn't catch that! Replace it with a medium sweep 90. It will have the same sweep as a 2" san tee if your not sure of the radius.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote