I Want To Do The Mint Test. How Do I Do It?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

I want to do the mint test. How do I do it??

I've heard I could test the main for leaks by pouring some kind of mint in the roof vent. Is this correct? If so, what kind of mint, where do I buy it and how much should I pour in? Is the point of this to pour it in then go sniff around any areas the vent travels from roof to basement?

I'm also wondering if there are any other tests I could do myself to find if leaks are in plumbing under floors or at the fixture itself, etc.

I've go a ton of leaks. My head is spinning.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Advertisement

rosemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

You could just look and feel for water. These are dwv leaks you're talking about right? It seems like it would be easier to see or feel a specific water leak location than smell one.

So what caused these tons of leaks?

Advertisement

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,604

I would do a smoke test before trying mint.
Is this an existing home? If the pipes are exposed a water test will show all your leaks
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

I don't know what's wrong here or why everything is leaking. I mean it's more than plumbing. I'm just trying to separate it. I can't replace all plumbing on house but anything I use here causes a leak somewhere, usually hidden. Like if I use the main bathroom, I see a wet spot on a wall in the stairwell. Plumbers feel it's a roof leak. I think it's both that bathroom and a window leak. Roof was ripped off and replaced not long ago.

I had replaced main in front of house about 10 years ago. Recently a plumber opened clean out by street because I wanted him to snake it front to back to clear any possible clogs. I saw a big hunk of plastic near top was missing. I asked where it went. He got a flash light and we found what he thinks is a piece of the old grill cover down there. He said it's ok for now cause water is going under it. I still don't know where the large piece of plastic is. I also had a basement company install a french drain and 3 sumps couple of years ago. He said system isn't working. The floor is getting wet under, cracking and holes are opening that I don't know what they are to. Testing one of the sumps let water and mud spill out under main in back of house. This month I took rubber piece off that holds the washer hose to drain at main and water is now spilling out. Something is clogged or leaking at main and both vents. Some thing is leaking under both bathroom floors. Plumbers can't help because no obvious leak, so 1 said he would need to totally rip out both baths and 2 vents to fix.

I need to narrow it down myself. I can't expect a plumber to find what is leaking. Do you know about this mint test?

Well for the heck of it, here's a link to the thing down the main clean out. It's the first few pics. If you enlarge them, you can see it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/11032697...SpoutsRemoved#

Thanks so much.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

replied wrong.

Last edited by rosemonster; 09-28-2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: replied wrong
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I would do a smoke test before trying mint.
Is this an existing home? If the pipes are exposed a water test will show all your leaks
What's the smoke test? Can I do it myself or do I need to ask a plumber to do it? I'm new to doing the repairs around here so my knowledge is still very limited.

Do I understand this mint test right? Can I use mint like from a super market?? and pour it down the roof vents? If I smell mint, then it's coming from vent leak? Do I add any water to get it through the plumbing or will this dilute it? Can I put mint down bathroom sinks and toilets to see if floor smells like mint? Can I pour it down back gutter to main to see if main in basement smells anywhere?

I'd like to know how to do this right because it's very hard to get to roofs. I've been going up there, but I'd hate to go up and do it wrong.

I'm desperate. If you can tell me about these or any tests you think may help, you'd be helping me so much. Thanks so much.

Advertisement