Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

I think I'm in luck!

We've just bought a new LG fridge, and it needs plumbing for water/ice. The old bugger we're getting rid of wasn't that fancy.

I go under our house a few minutes ago, dodging strange spiders in our crawlspace, and I think there's already existing plumbing set up just for such a fancy fridge.

Question for you experts - Aside from drilling a hole through the floor, will I need to buy more hose or connections to hook this baby up? I'm not positive what the fridge comes with for a connection; complete newbie here.

newfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I think I'm in luck!

The new Fridge is going to have a 1/4 " male connection.
As long as your going to be drilling a hole.
Id move that shut off valve above the floor and behind the fridge.

AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #3

I think I'm in luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
The new Fridge is going to have a 1/4 " male connection.
As long as your going to be drilling a hole.
Id move that shut off valve above the floor and behind the fridge.
Right, so I would run some more line, braided steel perhaps, from the existing connection up through the floor, and then throw a ball valve on behind the fridge, and connect the fridge to that?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

I think I'm in luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfridge View Post
Right, so I would run some more line, braided steel perhaps, from the existing connection up through the floor, and then throw a ball valve on behind the fridge, and connect the fridge to that?
I'd run 1/2 copper up through the floor and install the same kind of valve you have under the house.
If your not ready to solder the copper you can use a "shark bite" elbow.

http://www.lakecountypipe.com/SharkB...-34-X-34-.aspx

Its so easy a Caveman could do it ! lol
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

I think I'm in luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
I'd run 1/2 copper up through the floor and install the same kind of valve you have under the house.
If your not ready to solder the copper you can use a "shark bite" elbow.

http://www.lakecountypipe.com/SharkB...-34-X-34-.aspx

Its so easy a Caveman could do it ! lol
I'm sure it's easy; thanks for the SharkBite tip!

Any reason why I wouldn't run flexible tubing from the existing valve up through the floor, add the ball valve, and then connect the fridge?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I think I'm in luck!

If you do as AlbacoreShuffle suggested you won't have to chase spiders, anything that will probably go bad will be above the floor.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #7

I think I'm in luck!

What josall said.
and you wont have anything to support the weight of the ball valve.
You really don't want any plumbing just flopping around with out proper support.
To do so would be asking for a leak sometime down the road.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,004

I think I'm in luck!

Buy a roll of 1/4" L copper tubing drill hole in floor send down enough to connect to compression fitting, upstairs install a 1/4 x 1/4 compression valve and secure it on the somewhere out of the way of the fridge, connect the 1/4 copper to the valve, make sure the valve is closed, go to the crawlspace and connect the 1/4 " tubing to the valve, open the the valve, no leaks proceed upstairs, use the rest of the roll to connect it to the 1/4 " fitting on the back of the fridge, secure it with a 1/4 strap at one of the screw holes in the back, connect the other end to the valve, turn valve on check for leaks, push fridge back into place where the loop of copper just rolls up behind the fridge, now you have a job that is done correctly and the fridge can be pulled out for cleaning and maintenance at any time hassle free. You will get many opinions on this but believe me I have installed enough fridges to know this is the way. Stay away from braided lines if they were that good they would be installed all over houses.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
newfridge (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

I think I'm in luck!

A 6' braided flexible refridgeratoer hose has the proper fittings on each end to attach to the valve in the crawlspace and to the fridge. Drill one hole, couldn't get any easier.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,004

I think I'm in luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
A 6' braided flexible refridgeratoer hose has the proper fittings on each end to attach to the valve in the crawlspace and to the fridge. Drill one hole, couldn't get any easier.
"Easiest is not always the best way" 6' is not long enough anyway when your standing in front of the fridge pulling it out from the counter, you need to pull it out so you can get your whole body behind it for cleaning and maintenance. You loose at least a foot to the crawl so by the time the hookup is made on the fridge you can't get behind it to secure the line if it's between cabinets. Try it you'll see.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #11

I think I'm in luck!

The one thing that I have not seen anyone mention is this:The valve under the house looks like it has a 3/8 inch outlet, so some sort of reducer would be needed. my two cents
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to broox For This Useful Post:
newfridge (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #12

I think I'm in luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Buy a roll of 1/4" L copper tubing drill hole in floor send down enough to connect to compression fitting, upstairs install a 1/4 x 1/4 compression valve and secure it on the somewhere out of the way of the fridge, connect the 1/4 copper to the valve, make sure the valve is closed, go to the crawlspace and connect the 1/4 " tubing to the valve, open the the valve, no leaks proceed upstairs, use the rest of the roll to connect it to the 1/4 " fitting on the back of the fridge, secure it with a 1/4 strap at one of the screw holes in the back, connect the other end to the valve, turn valve on check for leaks, push fridge back into place where the loop of copper just rolls up behind the fridge, now you have a job that is done correctly and the fridge can be pulled out for cleaning and maintenance at any time hassle free. You will get many opinions on this but believe me I have installed enough fridges to know this is the way. Stay away from braided lines if they were that good they would be installed all over houses.
This sounds the best so far to my amateur ears - thanks Coldiron. One question for ya, can I just secure the above-floor compression valve to drywall/stud on it's own, or is there a better way to do it?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #13

I think I'm in luck!

Bought a short braided steel compression line to get me converted from 3/8" to 1/4". Pulled my old fridge out, drilled my hole, used teflon tape to hook up the braided steel line to the existing 3/8" valve, hooked my 1/4" copper tubing to the steel line, opened the valve: hot water. @#($@#

The cold line is back further a bit, and looks like it has a cap welded on it. One of those piercing saddle valves my best bet to grab the cold water?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Plumb or Die!

I think I'm in luck!

I was thinking about this thread whilst yard saleing with my wife. My thought was, "Hope that's not a hot valve."
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,002

I think I'm in luck!

"One of those piercing saddle valves my best bet to grab the cold water?"
No, don't do it; they can leak and/or clog too easily.
Buy a tubing cutter, get a valve, and then do the tubing run to the frig. Your skill with sweating would determine whether to get a sweat or compression valve to the copper supply.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
broox (09-24-2011)