Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Question

I think I'm in luck!


We've just bought a new LG fridge, and it needs plumbing for water/ice. The old bugger we're getting rid of wasn't that fancy.

I go under our house a few minutes ago, dodging strange spiders in our crawlspace, and I think there's already existing plumbing set up just for such a fancy fridge.



Question for you experts - Aside from drilling a hole through the floor, will I need to buy more hose or connections to hook this baby up? I'm not positive what the fridge comes with for a connection; complete newbie here.

newfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Member
 
AlbacoreShuffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
Rewards Points: 75
Default

I think I'm in luck!


The new Fridge is going to have a 1/4 " male connection.
As long as your going to be drilling a hole.
Id move that shut off valve above the floor and behind the fridge.

AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
The new Fridge is going to have a 1/4 " male connection.
As long as your going to be drilling a hole.
Id move that shut off valve above the floor and behind the fridge.
Right, so I would run some more line, braided steel perhaps, from the existing connection up through the floor, and then throw a ball valve on behind the fridge, and connect the fridge to that?
newfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Member
 
AlbacoreShuffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
Rewards Points: 75
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by newfridge View Post
Right, so I would run some more line, braided steel perhaps, from the existing connection up through the floor, and then throw a ball valve on behind the fridge, and connect the fridge to that?
I'd run 1/2 copper up through the floor and install the same kind of valve you have under the house.
If your not ready to solder the copper you can use a "shark bite" elbow.

http://www.lakecountypipe.com/SharkB...-34-X-34-.aspx

Its so easy a Caveman could do it ! lol
Attached Images
 
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
I'd run 1/2 copper up through the floor and install the same kind of valve you have under the house.
If your not ready to solder the copper you can use a "shark bite" elbow.

http://www.lakecountypipe.com/SharkB...-34-X-34-.aspx

Its so easy a Caveman could do it ! lol
I'm sure it's easy; thanks for the SharkBite tip!

Any reason why I wouldn't run flexible tubing from the existing valve up through the floor, add the ball valve, and then connect the fridge?
newfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 218
Rewards Points: 150
Default

I think I'm in luck!


If you do as AlbacoreShuffle suggested you won't have to chase spiders, anything that will probably go bad will be above the floor.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Member
 
AlbacoreShuffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
Rewards Points: 75
Default

I think I'm in luck!


What josall said.
and you wont have anything to support the weight of the ball valve.
You really don't want any plumbing just flopping around with out proper support.
To do so would be asking for a leak sometime down the road.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,238
Rewards Points: 1,004
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Buy a roll of 1/4" L copper tubing drill hole in floor send down enough to connect to compression fitting, upstairs install a 1/4 x 1/4 compression valve and secure it on the somewhere out of the way of the fridge, connect the 1/4 copper to the valve, make sure the valve is closed, go to the crawlspace and connect the 1/4 " tubing to the valve, open the the valve, no leaks proceed upstairs, use the rest of the roll to connect it to the 1/4 " fitting on the back of the fridge, secure it with a 1/4 strap at one of the screw holes in the back, connect the other end to the valve, turn valve on check for leaks, push fridge back into place where the loop of copper just rolls up behind the fridge, now you have a job that is done correctly and the fridge can be pulled out for cleaning and maintenance at any time hassle free. You will get many opinions on this but believe me I have installed enough fridges to know this is the way. Stay away from braided lines if they were that good they would be installed all over houses.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
newfridge (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Plumb or Die!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 321
Rewards Points: 250
Default

I think I'm in luck!


A 6' braided flexible refridgeratoer hose has the proper fittings on each end to attach to the valve in the crawlspace and to the fridge. Drill one hole, couldn't get any easier.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,238
Rewards Points: 1,004
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
A 6' braided flexible refridgeratoer hose has the proper fittings on each end to attach to the valve in the crawlspace and to the fridge. Drill one hole, couldn't get any easier.
"Easiest is not always the best way" 6' is not long enough anyway when your standing in front of the fridge pulling it out from the counter, you need to pull it out so you can get your whole body behind it for cleaning and maintenance. You loose at least a foot to the crawl so by the time the hookup is made on the fridge you can't get behind it to secure the line if it's between cabinets. Try it you'll see.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 399
Rewards Points: 250
Default

I think I'm in luck!


The one thing that I have not seen anyone mention is this:The valve under the house looks like it has a 3/8 inch outlet, so some sort of reducer would be needed. my two cents
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to broox For This Useful Post:
newfridge (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Buy a roll of 1/4" L copper tubing drill hole in floor send down enough to connect to compression fitting, upstairs install a 1/4 x 1/4 compression valve and secure it on the somewhere out of the way of the fridge, connect the 1/4 copper to the valve, make sure the valve is closed, go to the crawlspace and connect the 1/4 " tubing to the valve, open the the valve, no leaks proceed upstairs, use the rest of the roll to connect it to the 1/4 " fitting on the back of the fridge, secure it with a 1/4 strap at one of the screw holes in the back, connect the other end to the valve, turn valve on check for leaks, push fridge back into place where the loop of copper just rolls up behind the fridge, now you have a job that is done correctly and the fridge can be pulled out for cleaning and maintenance at any time hassle free. You will get many opinions on this but believe me I have installed enough fridges to know this is the way. Stay away from braided lines if they were that good they would be installed all over houses.
This sounds the best so far to my amateur ears - thanks Coldiron. One question for ya, can I just secure the above-floor compression valve to drywall/stud on it's own, or is there a better way to do it?
newfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

I think I'm in luck!


Bought a short braided steel compression line to get me converted from 3/8" to 1/4". Pulled my old fridge out, drilled my hole, used teflon tape to hook up the braided steel line to the existing 3/8" valve, hooked my 1/4" copper tubing to the steel line, opened the valve: hot water. @#($@#

The cold line is back further a bit, and looks like it has a cap welded on it. One of those piercing saddle valves my best bet to grab the cold water?
newfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Plumb or Die!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 321
Rewards Points: 250
Default

I think I'm in luck!


I was thinking about this thread whilst yard saleing with my wife. My thought was, "Hope that's not a hot valve."
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Philly
Posts: 2,041
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default

I think I'm in luck!


"One of those piercing saddle valves my best bet to grab the cold water?"
No, don't do it; they can leak and/or clog too easily.
Buy a tubing cutter, get a valve, and then do the tubing run to the frig. Your skill with sweating would determine whether to get a sweat or compression valve to the copper supply.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
broox (09-24-2011)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have any luck with Scotts grass seed? Piedmont Landscaping & Lawn Care 34 05-14-2013 09:20 PM
Never work HOT or Bad luck penny or never listen to your spouse - Leah Frances Electrical 19 07-17-2011 08:39 PM
Luck warm water to the shower... Help bwendt Plumbing 2 03-02-2009 12:23 PM
bad luck, bad lightbulbs, or bad problem? bjs Electrical 17 11-22-2008 10:21 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.