Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

I Smell

My water comes from a well and it makes me smell no matter how state of the art softener system I have and the best salt - I still smell. How do I take out the magnesium rod from my new hot water tank? Are the anode rod and magnesium rod two different things? The instructions only indicate having an anode rod.

Marie-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
the Musigician

I Smell

Are you saying drinking this water makes YOU smell?
Or does the WATER have a smell to it?

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #3

I Smell

The water makes me smell like sulfur from using it; hair, body, due to it being well water and going through a softened system. What I do know is that removing the magnesium rod will take that smell away because that is the cause of the smell. What I don't know is how to remove it. There is an anode rod, which I was told isn't the same thing, but as I look through the internet it always comes up as if the anode and magnesium rod are synonymous.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

I Smell

Quote:
but as I look through the internet it always comes up as if the anode and magnesium rod are synonymous.
Ayuh,... They Are 1 in the same,...

Removing it ain't gonna fix sulfur water though...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Owner

I Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... They Are 1 in the same,...

Removing it ain't gonna fix sulfur water though...
It's most likely a magnesium anode rod. It needs to be replaced with a zinc or aluminum/zinc anode
(208) 818-8241

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Owner

I Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie-MI View Post
My water comes from a well and it makes me smell no matter how state of the art softener system I have and the best salt - I still smell. How do I take out the magnesium rod from my new hot water tank? Are the anode rod and magnesium rod two different things? The instructions only indicate having an anode rod.
As Bondo mentioned, they're the same. Just search YouTube for "replace anode rod". Plenty of videos there.

You'll need a big breaker bar and probably another person to bear-hug the tank while you pull
(208) 818-8241

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Experienced

I Smell

Welcome Marie-MI, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

A water softner, no matter how much we would like it to, will not remove the odor from well water.

You need a Reverse Osmosis system and filter system to do that.

Anode and magnesium rod are one in the same.

Mark
Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #8

I Smell

I do have a RO system and it's wonderful for drinking water from my kitchen and refrigerator. My tank has an easy pull-out anode rod so if they're [anode rod and magnesium rod] the same thing then I'm lucky person!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #9

I Smell

Had the same issues even replacing the rod.

Ended up putting a chlorinator on top of the well. This is a last case alternative and you have to make sure your local building codes allow it. Dropping chlorine tablets down your well causes water and gases that corrode any metal it comes into contact with. That being said I've had this system installed for 17 years with the original Red Jacket well pump and water tank in the basement. During the installation I pulled the well pump out and used marine silicone on all metal connections. I've never had an issue since. Keep in mind you'll also need a green filter in the house before your softening system so the chlorine won't destroy your softener media.

There are many new alternatives to my legacy system. At the end of the day your killing everything in the water before it gets into your softener. If you have to spend money anyway, help out your softener by installing it before hand. My way also keeps the water tank bladder in the basement from having to be sanitized every 12 months.

Good Luck! Talk to the pros who know your area. Keep in mind when getting info up here - it comes from everywhere. You need to have the water tested and see what the problem is. Most places will do it for free if you bring the water in.
mikefrommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Jack of all - master none

I Smell

The sulfur smell does not come from actual sulfur in the rocks (generally), but from Hydrogen Sulfide which is a by-product of bacteria breaking down organic material in the water. The H2S is then converted into sulfates by additional bacteria.

Quote:
Sometimes the characteristic "rotten egg" odor is caused by sulfur bacteria. This type of bacteria is not harmful. It lives in hot water plumbing. Sulfur bacteria chemically changes hydrogen sulfide to sulfate, which produces the unpleasant odor. Sometimes gelatinous slime is present, similar to iron bacteria.Shock chlorination of the entire water system, including storage, hot water tanks, and distribution lines, kills the bacteria. This process introduces very high concentrations of chlorine into the water system. Chlorine should remain in the system for several hours, preferably overnight. If the situation persists, continuous chlorination may be required to prevent bacterial growth.

This is the same thing we deal with in our municipal water wells here. We need to shock the bejesus out of them on startup (and waste the water), then provide constant chlorination - otherwise the water is just horrible.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

I Smell

If you replace the rod make sure you drain the tank and flush it out good. Add peroxide in the tank before you re-fill it will help to kill the bacteria. Using a hydrogen peroxide solution of 2 pints 3% peroxide to 40 gallons of water, treat tank and run some of the solution into water lines.
Let peroxide solution set in tank and pipes for 2 hours. Solution is not toxic and requires no rinsing.

When I lived in the midwest yrs ago I use to clorinate my well 2 times a yr. Its pretty easy to do on your own...

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

http://www.gnb.ca/0009/0371/0010/index-e.asp

Gizmoman is offline   Reply With Quote