Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
BDN

Share |

I need some advice please.

My project is a 1 piece fiberglass shower. I'm roughing in the pipes but I don't know what to do. I could use some advice on how to tie into an existing 2 inch pipe that comes from the washing machine drain.

Is my thinking correct? Would the way I have those fittings laying there work? I worry about creating a vacuum when the washing machine is draining and sucking all the water out of the trap.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
I need some advice please.-100_0644.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0647.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0633.jpg  

Last edited by johnnydanger; 04-01-2009 at 12:40 PM.
johnnydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Use a Tee-Wye, not a Tee. And how are you installing the vent?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
BDN

Can my vent be the washing machine drain? That's the only way I know of doing it.

Also I've decided to replace the entire pipe from the washing machine to the Tee-wye. (I did go pick up a different one)

During the rotory hammer fun I managed to find another pipe. I believe this is the sump pump pipe.

What's the best way to replace the section I broke? I can't see how I'm going to get two couplers and a piece of pipe to slide together.

*edit* I realize I need a cover on that electrical box.
Attached Thumbnails
I need some advice please.-100_0649.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0656.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0652.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0658.jpg  

Last edited by johnnydanger; 03-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

I am not getter a clear idea as to where these pipes are going. You can not use the washer drain as a vent for the shower. You cannot use the ejector vent for anything but the ejector. The pipe you broke is the foundation drain pipe. You will find schedule 20 pipe in a different area, but use a new pipe which has the coupling on it and the other coupling should slide over the pipe enough to get these together again. Just tape the joints. Cover with gravel, not cement when you put this back together.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

and....that existing pipe you're planning on tying into is ABS and you have PVC fittings. The two do not go together
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

You can buy ABS/PVC glue, but as noted this should not be the way to do it. Use the black pipe all the way.. (ABS) And use ABS glue, not PVC glue or the combination glue is not too good either.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
BDN

Well, it's a good thing I asked because I had no idea you couldn't join the two together. Now it's time to go return some stuff. Not to mention Home Depot doesn't stock the abs fittings. Lowes has the ABS pipe and standard fittings but they don't have a shower drain in ABS. That will be special order. Oh the thrill of being a first time home owner!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

You still need to address the vent issue.

I wish I knew how to post a damn sketch.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
BDN

I don't mean for this to be an insult to anyone's advice however I needed to wash clothes yesterday so I went ahead with the PVC as a temp-perm fix. I don't plan on filling in the hole just yet until I'm sure that what I am doing is right.

Here is what I did. Cleaned and roughed up the ABS. Used All purpose ABS, PCV, CPCV cement at the connection. I then ran what you see in the below pics. The Tee-wye for the washer drain was for function only. I wanted the curve there to make putting the hose in the pipe easier. By all means I do NOT consider this a proper vent.

As far as venting, I am still pretty clue less. I tested the pipe by taking the cold water supply for the washing machine and feeding it down the pipe at wide open. The trap stayed full and the water pressure didn't seem to push any water up the shower drain.

So what are your thoughts? Tell me of my mistakes so I can learn what I should be doing.
Attached Thumbnails
I need some advice please.-100_0659.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0660.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0661.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0662.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0663.jpg  

Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Should have put the long sweep on the shower.

A T is not allow for driection change on its side or on its back

As far as the washer.

Cut the pipe up from the floor 18"
Install a T
Straight up off the T add another 4' of pipe and a Female adapter andon the adapter install a AAV atleast 20 dfu. (AAV = Air Admittance Valve)

Off the T install a P-trap and a 30" stand pipe for the washer connection.

As far as code you are not to solvent fit ABS to PVC. At this joint install a fernco.
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
BDN

Thank you Master Plumber 101. I'm going to make sure my work clothes are clean and gather the AAV, Fernco, and some more fittings. I will update with pics when I'm done.

With the Fernco coupling will it be okay in concrete? The slab is about 3 or 4 inches deep and the pipes were encased in the concrete and not below it.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Shouldn't be a problem
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
BDN

I took the day off for a Dr. appointment and decided to get this finished right.

I only have a concern with the p-trap setup for the washing machine. I had to kick it out so it would clear the french drain.

Please look at these pictures and point out any issues I may have. I hope to weld it together when I get home from my appointment.

Don't pay to much attention to the level of the pipes. I will level it out when I weld them together.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
I need some advice please.-100_0665.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0666.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0667.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0668.jpg   I need some advice please.-100_0669.jpg  

I need some advice please.-100_0672.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Use a Tee-wye where the washer connects to the drain. Move the washer trap above where this connects. How is the water to drain when the trap is below the drain?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
BDN

I hope this is right.

Is that the correct Tee-wye you mentioned?
Attached Thumbnails
I need some advice please.-100_0673.jpg