I Need Help Re: Poured Slab Foundation - Moved To Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I need help Re: Poured Slab Foundation - Moved to Plumbing

This isn't really a DIY question but I can't seem to find any answers anywhere and hope that someone here can give me some insight. My husband and I are currently having a new home built. We went by tonight and they have poured the foundation (slab), however, the hot and cold water pipes and the drain pipe for the sink in the downstairs bathroom are sitting about 1 inch outside of the foundation and the pipe for the toilet is very very close to the edge of the foundation I can't imagine how they will get a toilet to fit there once the frame is up and there is drywall on the walls. I called the superindendent tonight and was told they would check it out in the morning but I'm thinking there isn't much they can do and I want to be prepared for the BS that they are going to give me just to get me to go away.

Is there anything that can be done other than busting up the foundation and moving the pipes?

Advertisement

alextina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextina View Post
This isn't really a DIY question but I can't seem to find any answers anywhere and hope that someone here can give me some insight. My husband and I are currently having a new home built. We went by tonight and they have poured the foundation (slab), however, the hot and cold water pipes and the drain pipe for the sink in the downstairs bathroom are sitting about 1 inch outside of the foundation and the pipe for the toilet is very very close to the edge of the foundation I can't imagine how they will get a toilet to fit there once the frame is up and there is drywall on the walls. I called the superindendent tonight and was told they would check it out in the morning but I'm thinking there isn't much they can do and I want to be prepared for the BS that they are going to give me just to get me to go away.

Is there anything that can be done other than busting up the foundation and moving the pipes?
Based on your descriptions, I would be alarmed too.

See what your Super. says. If he poo-poos it....contact a licensed Plumber and pay the guy to come over and give you an independant written inspection/evaluation of the whole layout and installation....if it is contrary to what the super. says....you now have solid information to dispute him/them.....and get it corrected.

Good Luck

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

I would do what you've been doing, but I would not hire anyone to do anything. The home being built is technically still the builders until settlement. If push comes to shove, the builder can have you arrested for trespassing, put up a fence around THEIR house, and/or give you back your downpayment and sell the house to someone else.

I would continue to apply gentle pressure to the supervisor in hopes of a resolution. Nomatter what, at the end before settlement, they must resolve everything before you settle and don't settle until these things are resolved. You have little leverage after settlement punchlist or no punchlist. It took me 3 years to get my punchlist resolved.

PS. Why are you concerned about "hot and cold water" pipes outside the foundation? None of this type of piping is usually installed until after the frame of the house is installed. I would only worry about the drain location. Your "pipe for the toilet"...are you talking about the drain pipe or supply pipe? If it's the former, only then would it be a concern. Hot or cold water supply pipes are not run into the concrete.

Also, calm down. The house is just starting off, and if you freak out about everything, you're going to suffer a nervous breakdown before the house is built.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Ron ?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #5

Take some pictures and post them here, so we can see exactly what you mean.
Any other houses at the same stage? Check them out and see if it is the same as yours. It won't make it right or wrong if it is, I'm just curious.
What about the site plumber? Is he still around? He would be someone to ask.
Atlantic, my ears were burning.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'd like to see the pictures.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I talked to the super and was told that what happened is that they double framed it and the plumbing was put in when the original frame was in place then they found that it was off so they reframed it and the pipes wound up outside of the foundation. The solution is that they are going to cut a square out of the foundation then dig down until they find the pipes and cap off the existing pipes and run new ones then they will fill in the part of the foundation that they had to cut. Fortunately this is not on a footer so it shouldn't cause any problems as far as cracking or settling differently (I hope). Here are some pics. The first pic shows the pipes inside of the of the frame, the second is zoomed to show the pipes outside of the foundation. I will try to go by tonite and get some better pics. Considering that I know nothing about this stuff does the above sound like a good solution??
Attached Thumbnails
I need help Re: Poured Slab Foundation - Moved to Plumbing-pipe.jpg   I need help Re: Poured Slab Foundation - Moved to Plumbing-dsc05358a.jpg  

Advertisement

alextina is offline   Reply With Quote