DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   i made a lil boo boo.... (

Fix'n it 08-25-2013 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
... what can i do to fix it ?

see the clean out. when i was roughing it, it looked to be sticking out enough.
but nooooooo :slap head:
the plug is glued in.
is there a screw in extension i could get ?


joecaption 08-25-2013 09:07 AM

Why not just add an access panel in the drywall to cover it up?

wkearney99 08-25-2013 09:18 AM

Ya gotta weigh the work required to figure out a way around it versus cutting pipe and rebuilding it properly. When you've got a wall open like this I'd say the latter is a much better idea...

ddawg16 08-25-2013 09:32 AM

Ya know, I have 'never' made that mistake....nope, not me......:whistling2:

And, yes, they do make male screw in pieces....but PVC is cheap...I think I would cut...and glue on a longer piece and then cut that 'after' the drywall is up.

Fix'n it 08-25-2013 09:38 AM


Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1233934)
Ya know, I have 'never' made that mistake....nope, not me......:whistling2:


ok, when you guys say to fix it. are you saying to cut out the wye. or cut out the just the threaded part of the wye ? and fix from there

Fix'n it 08-25-2013 09:40 AM


Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1233917)
Why not just add an access panel in the drywall to cover it up?

yeah, that is on the "plan" list. the issues isn't the drywall. it does stick out about flush with the DW. its the cabinet that will be the issue. i would like to have it out far enough, so that in the event of using it, a pan can be placed under it.

ddawg16 08-25-2013 09:41 AM

if you glued the threaded coupling straight into the wye....then I would just pull the cap...and screw in a male threaded coupling....and if it's long enough....glue another female into the male end....

I believe they call that a threesome....

old_squid 08-25-2013 10:34 AM

Cut out the wye, glue in a new one with enough extension to get you the room for a pan and finish it out with the screwed clean out. Do not glue in the threaded plug, if that's what you meant before. It's threaded for a reason.

You'll probably need at least one slip/repair coupling if not two to replace the wye, depends on how much movement there is on the pipe the wye is in.

TheEplumber 08-25-2013 01:12 PM

Use a clean out cover plate and leave it as it is.
If your sink ever backs up- you'll probably pull and drain from the trap first, then cable through the 90. Those clean outs on the arm are hardly ever used

ben's plumbing 08-25-2013 01:40 PM

yep yep do what he says guess is you will never use that clean no never never ugh ugh ugh:laughing::laughing::laughing: ben sr

Fix'n it 08-25-2013 08:13 PM

yeah, i know it will most likely never be used. but i was there, and it was easy.

now. if i HAD NOT put the clean out in there, that B!tch would be clogggin up all the time.

HitLines 08-28-2013 10:25 AM

Instead of an access panel I usually put up a (fake) wall vent. It looks functional but is easy to remove if you need to get to the cleanout.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.