Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

I hear water running in my pipes 24 hours.

Even when all water is turned off throughout the house I hear water flowing through the pipes in one section of the house. However, when I turn off the water at the main the noise stops. I have no leaky facets and there is no water running into the tanks of the toilets. I was thinking that it may be one of the 2 hot water tanks so I turned off the water leading into the water tanks but the noise continues. Could it be draining from the water heater tanks? What steps should I take to determine where the running water is coming from. Thank you to anyone that can help me.

Last edited by Prata; 06-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Prata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prata For This Useful Post:
macw (03-11-2012)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

I posted the following in another thread where the OP heard water running. It might help you during your troubleshooting:

"Check your water meter and see if the water movement indicator is spinning. Even a slow leak will spin the water movement indicator like one revolution in 3 minutes for example. But to hear water running, it would have to be a fairly fast leak. Hidden leaks can happen if they are under ground or under a concrete slab. To get a feel of how fast the water movement indicator does spin, turn on a faucet in your home and check it. It will be spinning like crazy. Lower the flow from the faucet so it is just a slow stream and look at the water movement indicator. It will be spinning slowly. If your water movement indicator does not spin at all with all faucets turned off, then you don't have to worry about a potable water leak."

HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #3

I have the same problem. I hear water running by the water main where it comes in from the street. It is constant, and when I shut the main valve off, it goes away. Have you discovered your problem? I don't have a water meter. What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!
macw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Happy to help

Sounds like a main line leak to me. those are tough to locate, as water travels the path of least resistance, and you really will find there is no rhyme or reason to it. You may have to have a leak detection company come out and locate it for you. If the leak is not causing damage, that's good, but it's costing you money in either water (city) or electricity (well). I would not let it linger, but if you have eliminated all areas that you can to locate where it might be coming from, time to call a professional.
Lighting Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Happy to help

I would also check to see if you have a shut off at the house in addition to the shut off at the street. I would check those separately as well to see if you still hear the water running. Sometimes it can also be irrigation systems leaking, but to hear it draining has me very curious. Hope you can post an update once you find the issue.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Retro View Post
I would also check to see if you have a shut off at the house in addition to the shut off at the street. I would check those separately as well to see if you still hear the water running. Sometimes it can also be irrigation systems leaking, but to hear it draining has me very curious. Hope you can post an update once you find the issue.
So shut the one OFF at the street and keep the one ON in the crawl space? And then reverse order?

It is weird, I haven't found any water pooling inside or outside the house.

So I may have a leak between the house and the street somewhere?

Also, the sound has been there for a long time, I am just trying to deal with it now. We bought the house lasT May but aren't living in it yet because of renovations.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

I had the same thing in my house built in the 60s. I was losing a gallon in three minutes but there was no water damage anywhere.

It was a pinhole leak in a pipe under the slab and so the plumbers bypassed the pipe.

I also had them add some valves to isolate half the house's plumbing from the other half so I could do work if necessary without having the whole house shut off. The women, they do not like going without water.

Also, the WaCo added orthophosphate to the water to slow down this problem because the local paper wrote a piece on how many homes in this area were having this problem.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-11-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macw View Post
So shut the one OFF at the street and keep the one ON in the crawl space? And then reverse order?

Also, the sound has been there for a long time, I am just trying to deal with it now. We bought the house lasT May but aren't living in it yet because of renovations.
If you have the valve at the street (curb stop) ON and the main valve inside OFF and you still hear the sound, try shutting off the curb stop. If that stops the sound, then the leak is underground between the curb stop and your main valve. If you can't hear the sound with the inside main valve off, the leak is inside.

Depending on your soil type and depth of bury, you might need a pretty big leak for water to surface.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Happy to help

Quote:

Yes, strangely it could be from outside. I would shut off the water at the house first, but leave the water on at the street. If you still hear it, the leak is on the main outside. If the leak stops, it would appear you might have a slab leak.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Retro View Post
Yes, strangely it could be from outside. I would shut off the water at the house first, but leave the water on at the street. If you still hear it, the leak is on the main outside. If the leak stops, it would appear you might have a slab leak.
Yes I am fearing the worsted! I know already that when I shut the main off in my crawl space where the pipe comes up through the concrete, the running water sound goes away This is without touching the main from the street.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Happy to help

Just what you needed
Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes I am fearing the worsted! I know already that when I shut the main off in my crawl space where the pipe comes up through the concrete, the running water sound goes away This is without touching the main from the street.
If you can "hear" the leak, it must be substantial. If the leak is under a slab, repair it asap! A substantial leak can create a sink hole by carrying dirt away a few particles at a time. Where the dirt goes, I have no idea but there was a home on the local news a number of years ago that had developed a large sink hole. The home owners had to hire a concrete pumping company to fill in the sink hole.

BTW, we had a pin hole leak under our slab in the hot water line. The leak was so slow that we couldn't hear it. After I bypassed the leak using PEX in the attic, our electric bill decreased by $20 / month.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #13

If there's copper or steel pipes under that slab they will leak at some point.
Do you have a water softner? Timer couldbe stuck in back wash.
Can you see the relief valve on the water heater and know it's not tripped and leaking?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
If the valve is in a crawl space I assume the whole house is on a crawl? I'd investigate all the crawl for signs of water. Also check to see if you have a branch line going back outside to an irrigation system or remote hydrants that may not have been winterized and froze.
Also, turn off the cw to the water heater. If leak stops then its on the hot side.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If there's copper or steel pipes under that slab they will leak at some point.
Do you have a water softner? Timer couldbe stuck in back wash.
Can you see the relief valve on the water heater and know it's not tripped and leaking?
Sorry, what is a water softener? Not to sure what you mean by timer could be stuck in back wash. My electric bill has been tremendous as well, could this be the problem? Could this be the noise that I am hearing?