Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I have a sewer odor coming from my basement in the laundry room.

I have a sewer odor coming from my laundry room in the basement. In the basement I have a kitchen sink, a floor drain, a utility sink, a bathroom sink, a toilet and a shower. The toilet has a new wax ring and I checked to see if it was sealed. The slop sink gets used almost every day, and the toilet gets used very often. I ran water down every drain, and ran all the water in the faucets and it went away for a couple of days and then came back. Now where I live the water goes to I believe a catch basin right outside my house. I pulled the cover and the water is a couple of feet down, but I can still see the plumbing pipes that go inside my house. I am running out of solutiuons here any help would be great. Also I read that all of my sewer lines should be vented, I do not understand that. Should they all be tied into eachother. Thanks In Advance

whitelx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

All traps have to be vented after the trap in order for the drain/waste/vent system to work properly. They do not all have to be tied into the same vent stack. (Without a vent, your pipes are like a straw with finger over hte upper end, holding the water.)
There should a trap at every drain that you mentioned (a toilet has a built-in trap), and they all need to be vented in some way or the the water running through nearby drain pipes may siphon a trap dry to create a "vent" if it is not vented properly.
My guess is that one of your vent stacks is partially clogged on the roof.
Go up on the roof and remove any birdnests, leaves, sticks, debris ets. that you can by hand from the vent pipes sticking up through your roof and flush the stack down with a water hose.
That should help solve your trap siphon problem allowing the sewer gas back into your basement.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #3

did you pour anything in the floor drain? Where i used to live, I had a washroom in the basement, and if i didn't pour water (and a little bleach) in the floor drain about every week, it would either sour and begin smelling, or evaporate and let the sewer gases through. i believe i saw a post on here once that if your pour a little vegetable oil in the drain after the water, it will stay on top and keep the water from evaporating, so you don't have to do it as often. I never tried that (i don't live there anymore) but it makes sense.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 09-26-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote