Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

I have no clue what to do, NEED HELP

The hose to the tank of my toilet was leaking (arrow points to the leak) so I went to Lowes and purchased a replacement, I ran into a problem trying to disconnect the nut that connects to the shut off valve. I think that the hose is connected to the shut off valve and I need to replace the entire thing. I don't know what type of shut off valve it is and if I even need to replace the entire thing. I am trying to do this myself without calling a plumber. Please help
Attached Thumbnails
I have no clue what to do, NEED HELP-leaking-001.jpg   I have no clue what to do, NEED HELP-valve-001.jpg  

fcarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
DIY staff

It's Easter--Double over time and a half---plumber might be expensive today.

Here is what to do to remove that water line.

First shut off the water to the toilet--If the little shut off under the toilet won't turn easily--
Leave it on and turn off the water to the whole house--open some sinks and drain the system.

Flush the toilet and sponge out and water left in the tank.

Remove the white nut under the tank---make sure you don't spin the flush valve inside the tank!

Next--the small nut at the valve---grab the valve with a pair of channel lock pliers to prevent the valve from moving when you turn the nut loose.

Using a crescent wrench turn the nut counter clock wise as viewed from the top--done--

You didn't say what type of replacement you bought. Just be careful not to spin the flush valve inside the tank when tightening the new line.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

the new hose should be standard at both ends with a new compression nut for the new line into that exsisting silver shut off.WD$) that nut and back it up as suggested .........lefty loosy righty tighty.install both ends hand tight then cresent wrench the shut off on then channel lock the plastic..both should go 1/4 to 1/2 turn ore snug don't slam it .open the silver shutoff and check for drips..no teflon and or paste required to seal either end....on that brass compression nut it is the threads that are tight but the compression ferrel within the nut adds to that CCW jerk to break it loose...........
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

As Mike said with the addition of turn the valve closed at the cold water supply to the water heater if shutting off water to the house. Otherwise you may burn an element in it if electric. Don't open the hot supplies. I also trip the HWT breaker off at the panel. If replacing the valve too- buy a 1/4 turn, 1/2" copper compression valve to 3/8". Use a braided stainless steel supply- 3/8" to toilet x 12" ? OR 16" .

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Talking

Thank You so much for the replies. All I had purchased was the repacement hose and some channel lock pliers. The channel lock pliers and the cresent wrench did the job, I would have been mad if I called a plumber out to do that simple job.The hose was the problem so nothing else has to be repaired. With the husband deployed I'm the handyman, landscaper and etc. so this type of work is foreign to me. I'm trying to do everything I can on my own without calling for help unless its a job that I know I can't handle, and I knew I could do this on my own had to look up what all the tools where but I did it. Thank You So Much now I just need to tackle my thermostat and I'll be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to fcarswell For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #6

thermostat problem...if it is cooling side lets hear it right now or go over to HVAC section and write it up what it did and whats not happening now....30yrs in the hvac field ....
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

I need help trying to figure out where some of the wires go. I have an electric heat pump I have no idea what type or anything, all it says on the unit is Gibson Products and a phone number. I have white, yellow, green, red, blue, orange, and brown wires. The set up is like this:

C W2
G-green in
Y-yellow in
O/B or W-white in
RC
R-red in

on the other side
W2 or AUX
Y2 or E
L
What do I do with the blue, orange and brown wires??? and do I have the wiring right so far??
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #8

repeat his stat problem over in the HVAC group for a better answer..sorry i stink on HPs