I Have Never Seen A Shower Drain Like This, How Do I Get It Out? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

I have never seen a shower drain like this, how do I get it out?

Hi! Well unfortunately for me, I have a clogged shower drain. I removed the top decorative silver part over the drain (just twisted it off; it is NOT pictured). However, down below there is a big brass cylinder and I have no idea how to get it out. My plan is to remove it and get whatever blockage is below. As you can see the brass part has a slot, and I tried twisting it with a screwdriver to the left. But to no avail, as it is quite firm and I only scratched the cylinder.

side view -

top view -

Also, there is a plastic outer shell around the brass cylinder (it is white.) The white part can be pushed down and it "locks," and if I push it again it pops back up.

Ok so thank you so much for any help with this. I have fixed other clogged drains but have never seen one like this, and could not find any info online. IF this fixture is not supposed to be removed, then any other advice about clearing the drain would be infinitely appreciated!

Advertisement

Last edited by zeno; 07-01-2011 at 09:48 AM.
zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Use a flathead screwdriver on the brass part inside, and it will unscrew.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

Hi, thanks for the response! So I should unscrew it counter-clockwise, correct? I guess I just need to muster more muscle...but should the white plastic part be in any specific position (up or down, say?) Thanks so much, I just want to be careful about not stripping that inner brass part.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

is this in a bathtub?? it should unscrew counterclockwise like was mentioned. when the top part was on could you push it down and it would lock in the down position? you dont want the chrome part out only the center of it.

Last edited by DannyT; 07-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is this in a bathtub?? it should unscrew counterclockwise like was mentioned. when the top part was on could you push it down and it would lock in the down position? you dont want the chrome part out only the center of it.
HI! Yes this is in a bathtub. It is very difficult to unscrew, but I do think that is what needs to happen. I put a penny in the slot, and used a wrench (vs. screwdriver, I thought this would help with torque) but the penny got bent instead. I will keep trying, with the white part up and also down, unless I hear otherwise...

And may I ask what you mean when you say, "you dont want the chrome part out only the center of it?" I think you are referring to the brass removal as I am doing, but if you mean something else please let me know.

YES the apparatus can go up and down to stop the water flow, when the chrome part and gasket were on. Here is what it normally looks like:

I think this is mine, from the Home Depot website:
Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #6

This forum has been a big help, thanks! So far, I have figured out that yes this does need to be twisted out. It SHOULD be quite simple, but someone REALLY went to town on making the brass part really firmly twisted! I just recently moved here...SO given the images and what-not, can someone please mention a good way to get it out? I work out regularly and seriously, the thing won't move at all. I even tried with my weightlifting gloves on, and a regular screwdriver, to no avail...

So should I use some sort of torque device? I heard there was a screwdriver that you hit with a mallet and it twists...Or maybe one of those shorter screwdrivers? Or a screwdriver with a bigger head? I dunno, I suppose I'll head over the the hardware store tomorrow, but I'm not even sure what to look for. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

check a real plumbing supply store

Advertisement