Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

I found this in my shed(recently purchased a house). What is it?

I know the guy who lived in the house before me was a plumber, and I came across when I was cleaning out an old shed. I've searched on the web and can not find any information about it. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Also along with this I found two sets of Vice Grips with rounding connecters welded to the tips....Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.

The label on the back says Elkhart Products Corporation and in the lower left of the label it says: Fusion Joining Tool
Attached Images

Last edited by RavenLunatic; 04-11-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add attachment
RavenLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

looks like a fusing iron for HDPE pipe. plug it in and i'll bet the top of it gets really hot

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Cool, thanks for the info. Is it worth anything? I doubt I would ever need it for home use(I'm not handy on the plumbing side of things to begin with). Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.nibco.com/assets/Socketfusion.pdf

go to that link and scroll down to the second group of tools. Do the vice grips look like those, or similar?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
http://www.nibco.com/assets/Socketfusion.pdf

go to that link and scroll down to the second group of tools. Do the vice grips look like those, or similar?
Yes, they look similar, except the rounded tips are steel vs plastic in the picture. But yes, that's basically what they are.

Last edited by RavenLunatic; 04-11-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLunatic View Post
Cool, thanks for the info. Is it worth anything? I doubt I would ever need it for home use(I'm not handy on the plumbing side of things to begin with). Thanks again for your help.
yea it has value, but its a very limited market. the people using that have thousands invested in bursting/boring equipment, and it comes with all of that. try looking around ebay or something and see if you see anything similar. or just put it up and see what happens i'll buy it if it's low enough
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_man For This Useful Post:
LateralConcepts (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
yea it has value, but its a very limited market. the people using that have thousands invested in bursting/boring equipment, and it comes with all of that. try looking around ebay or something and see if you see anything similar. or just put it up and see what happens i'll buy it if it's low enough
Good to know, I'll check out ebay. I had looked before, but nothing came back on Fusion Joining Tool. When I get home tonight I'll make sure it works. I did plug it in, and it did turn on, but I didn't know what I was dealing with so I turned it off after a few seconds. I'll probably do some more digging to see if there is anything else back there. Vice grips look like the ones in this picture. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vanguard-IPS-Pol...item2c5bff08ac Thanks again for helping me identify it. If I end up putting on ebay, I'll post the link.

Tags
plumbing, tools