I Clog My Bathtub Drain With Hair-solution Works For Me - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

I clog my bathtub drain with hair-solution works for me

I clog my bathtub drain with hair--Is there anything wrong with this solution?

For years now I have had to clear the drain of my hair every couple weeks. I have been using those white plastic things with the teeth that you force down the drain and when you pull it back up big gobs and gobs of hair come up on the teeth. What I pull up is fairly clean because what goes down there is only hair, soap, shampoo, conditioner and warm water. No problem.

A while back this method stopped working. So I went under the sink and found drain cleaners I had collected over the years. What was I thinking? I found a whole bunch of them, none were open, never used.

Then I got the bright idea to use Clorox, a milder solution to the problem so I got a jug up there and just before pouring I thought 'vinegar', hey that's even milder.
So I brought up a jug of vinegar. I poured about 3/4 cup down the drain, that's all it took to back up. A half hour later I repeated it--this time it took 1 1/2 cups. Now this is the first time any drain cleaner of any sort has ever gone down the tub drain. Waited a while and poured more down and it didn't back up.
Then I ran the sink to get hot water(somewhere I heard use very hot) and poured a bowl of hot water down, and another bowl and another bowl. Then I turned on the tub spigot and let it run until I knew it was flushed beyond my property line and I haven't had a problem since then, been months now. No more bi-weekly snaking with the white plastic things.

Is there anything wrong with vinegar? It is about the mildest acid that I can think of. I was amazed it worked. Vinegar does not disolve hair. I used it once when young as a conditioner but I didn't like smelling like an Easter Egg. So I can only assume it washed out a clump of hair protected by soap scum which in turn was protected by a layer of hair conditioner.

Plastic drain pipes. Now I pour some vinegar down the drain occasionally BEFORE washing my hair.

Is there a problem with vinegar?

gailquilter

Advertisement

gailquilter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

wow,i could swear you were making liquid explosives.vinegar is acidic so maybe it does the trick ? i f it works,i see nothing that should affect pvc pipe.

Advertisement

rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #3

Wink

Nope, no explosions yet, I only use one chemical at a time, that way I don't have to remember the combinations. Vinegar and the white plastic mini snake still working fine. Still have long hair.

If I need a combination of chemicals I look it up each time. Chemistry was the one subject that really baffled me.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Vinegar?? Wow need to try that one! Fishing hair out of the plug hole is never fun.
Colup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

no..no it's not..

fun that is
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

My wife causes the same issue in our shower. So she bought one of these

to put over the drain. Then when she washes her hair she just cleans up the hairs that collect on it (instead of going down the drain). Its been a couple months and we haven't had to fish any hair out or use any drain cleaner.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

Hi, I tried in the past a thing to go over the hole to filter out the hair. Unfortunately it also filtered out the water. In a nutshell..tub wouldn't drain. I'm getting a new shower and tub and I will get something different to take care of the problem, for one thing the bathtub drain stopper will be one I can remove. the current one cannot be taken out anymore, the metal has oxidized, I guess, and won't budge.

Advertisement

Tags
clog , hair , vinegar